how to set trees on stage

nmactor

Hello guys,
We are doing Dark Of the Moon. I am the set designer and want to have 8 or 10 trees on stage. I want to use small dead ones about 10 to 12 feet high with a trunck diameter of 2 to 3 inches. My idea is to stand them up in a small bucket and fill it with concrete. Are their more ideas out there?

Assuming the bases aren't a cosmetic issue, I've never had an issue with the cement plant pot solution stability wise.

You can cut a piece of 3/4" ply to use as a base, screw, nail or lag bolt through the ply into the tree and add a couple of angle iron braces reinforcing the connection.

Or you can buy PVC Pipe Flanges, paint them the color of the stage floor and screw them in place. If you feel the need for extra support rig the top of the trees to the grid, if you have one over your stage.

Or you can buy PVC Pipe Flanges, paint them the color of the stage floor and screw them in place. If you feel the need for extra support rig the top of the trees to the grid, if you have one over your stage.

I don't know the show but if the trees were to move you could find a way to easily detach the trees from the base on the ground and fly them. (Assuming you had flys)

I would also think about attaching a small gauge aircraft cable to the top part of the tree and tying it off into the ceiling, grid, whatever you have. That way you'll have to worry less about the possibility of actors tipping them over. Think like your rigging a side boom. Also, that way if you tie off the top you could get away with having smaller base structures lending itself to more believability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back