Ia company thinks this is acceptable.

agcraig

I currently work for an events company. I am their "lighting and electrics" person. I put those in quotes because they don't use me as that. They don't listen to anything I say. But I digress. I went to a strike for a wedding our company just did and this is what I found. A pinspot gaff taped to a lighting stand that was risen about 15 feet above the cake table. How do you feel about that?? The venue was an older building in downtown Richmond and the place was overrun with 2-prong, ungrounded outlets. There were 3-pronged outlets but not really near where we needed them. We were plugging in cheap PAR 38s. My supervisor was on site for the install and he suggested using the 2 prong zip cord and leaving the ground pin hang out. I advised him against it. I told him to go to RadioShack and get some cheaters. He didn't. He went with his original idea. Completely ignoring my advice. They also have a habit of pulling out ground pins on almost every extension cable they have. They cut corners like this all the time. I constantly feel unsafe and like someday something could hurt someone or damage something major. How do you feel about this?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380467329658.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380467329658.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 307
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380467341775.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380467341775.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 276
Honestly, there is no difference in THIS application between using a ground lifter, leaving the ground pin hanging out, or breaking it off. Ground lifters would just make it look safer.

But yeah, that's pretty janky. Even zip ties would look better, and that rusted T and scratched up pipe is ugly. Hope the bride didn't overpay for that, but she probably did.

If you don't like it then quit. Until a fire marshal says no they will continue to do so. Also the ground plug idea... Wouldn't work those "cheaters" need to be screwed onto the wall plate which needs a ground wire run to that plate. May look more "right" but still far from it. As far as gaffing the pinspot to the Mic stand that's just plain lazyness and cheap. You can buy adapters to go from threaded Mic to bolt easily Nd cheaply online.

Yes, sloppy and lazy, but sometimes you just have to make do, especially when the bride wants one more thing lit, or whatever. I put 4 extra lights up last weekend because the sweet table needed it. The difference is everything was properly clamped and the stands (pipe and boom) were well dressed.

To your overarching question (what should I do since they don't listen to me) you really have 2 options: keep learning on what NOT to do until you can find a new job, or quit now. It's clear your opinion means little to the people in power.

I get in the same situation sometimes too. What you have to do is pick your battles and go behind the people that are being lazy and fix it, take no credit and say nothing and find yourself a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back