Vintage Lighting ID'ing Kliegl Fresnel + Age of Altman fixtures

BobHealey

Hello. I've got a pair of questions relating to some old lighting fixtures that still see weekly service.

The first, and probably easier question: When did Altman introduce the Satellite I followspot? A venue I'm occasionally in at RPI is using serial #'s 42 and 243 (I think, its definitely 4x and 24x), and I'm kind of curious how old they are. They're potentially going to be replaced in next year or two due to excessively noisy fans, even after they were supposedly repaired a year or two ago.

Second, a community theater I've been the season show electrician for this year has 5 Kliegl 8" fresnels with a very interesting lens pattern I've never seen before. I'd like to get another one of these lenses so I can convert one of the Altman 75Qs to have the same beam pattern. The unit currently uses a mogul prefocus socket, though I don't know if it was stock. Focus knobs on both front and rear of the fixture. The lens, in addition to the standard fresnel pattern, has an under laid oval fresnel pattern, giving the fixture a beam shape similar to a PAR MFL, but the uniformity of a fresnel beam. Based on my experiences with Altman 65/75Q fixtures, I'm going to guess that this unit originally had an incandescent lamp in it as the reflector is a full 8" wide, unlike the little mini ones Altman uses in their current gear. I've tried looking through the Klieglbros archives, but I've got no idea where to start looking. I'll try and get some pictures tonight of fixture #5 when I go to rehearsal. 4 of these units are in every show I've done due to the beam shaping options. They are old enough that standard hardware for 8" fresnels doesn't quite fit right, the accessory holder on the front is rectangular instead of square.

Thanks!

Thanks for the Altman dates. The picture in the thread isn't quite what I've got - the lens has what looks like 2 different patterns - a primary circular fresnel and an oval pattern underneath. Wasn't able to get pictures due to too much chaos tonight.

... The picture in the thread isn't quite what I've got - the lens has what looks like 2 different patterns - a primary circular fresnel and an oval pattern underneath. ...
Never seen one like that, but this thread lead me to US Patent #2853599. I'm guessing Kliegl later turned to Kopp Glass to manufacture the lens, who found the "double circle" variety easier to produce. Optically it shouldn't make much difference.

No idea, what looks like it was once the name plate has worn down to solid black. Currently has either a BVV or BVT in it. Going to try to get pictures soon. Its definitely Kliegl, that is still on the metal in raised letters. Amusingly, these are significantly lighter than recent Altman 8" units.

Well, I finally managed to ID the fixture, found one where the name plate wasn't completely unreadable. 44N8, which I couldn't find on the klieglbros site either. Attached are pictures of the lens. I've found that from the same pipe, I can use 1 of these fully flooded to cover the same area as two current Altman 75Q's fully flooded. Anyone know if its still possible to get that lens? It says PYREX and made for Klieglbros on it.

0309021151.jpg0309021151a.jpg

Well, I finally managed to ID the fixture, found one where the name plate wasn't completely unreadable. 44N8, which I couldn't find on the klieglbros site either. Attached are pictures of the lens. I've found that from the same pipe, I can use 1 of these fully flooded to cover the same area as two current Altman 75Q's fully flooded. Anyone know if its still possible to get that lens? It says PYREX and made for Klieglbros on it.

View attachment 6528View attachment 6529

There's one on eBay right now!

KLIEGL BROS LIGHTING VINTAGE STAGE LIGHTING 44N8 120V | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back