Install today. The ceiling from hell.

BillESC

Simple contract: 4 recessed ceiling speakers, amp, mixer and wireless mic in a chruches fellowship hall.

Neal and I show up at 8 this morning and start. The front end of the system is to be located in the kitchen in a closet so the first thing we have to do is knock a hole in a cinder block wall in the attic to get a cable run from the kitchen to the ceiling of the hall. The hole is done in about 5 minutes. Next we go to cut the first hole for one of the four recessed speakers.

We drill a pilot hole and proceed to cut the circle with a jig saw. Turns out the ceiling is two layers of 5/8" sheetrock with 12" acoustic tiles glued to the bottom of the sheetrock, cutting with the jig saw is slow. First hole drops to the floor to reveal a 2x4 in the way. After a few choice words it's back to the shop for my sabre saw. We remove the offending 2x4 quickly and now have to notch out the two layers of sheetrock where the swing locks of the EV C4.2 speaker are located. Cut the remaining 3 holes, notch the sheetrock, pulled wire and had the system tested, balanced and ready to go by one o'clock (took an hour lunch at eleven.)

Neal and I then drove a half hour and wall mounted a 54" Samsung LED TV on a fully articulated mount. Got back to the shop at four with a six pack.

Not a bad day considering the sheetrock dust I'm still sneezing up.

Just an FYI, you may get an angry phone call about that 2x4 you cut if it happened to be the bottom chord of a truss and not just a piece of blocking.

Here in Virginia, working in churches built in the 1700's is a normal course of business, half the sound installs we do are in facilities than are in the National Historic Register.

The 2x4 was supported with straps to the I beam steel trussing on 12" centers, not too concerned with it's load bearing capabilities.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back