Control/Dimming Installing New DMX Wall Plates

My university will most likely be acquiring some new lighting technology very soon, yet the theatre does not seem to have any female DMX512 wall plates for intelligent lighting, only males for board plug-in or RFU. I was wondering how easy it would be to install a couple wall plates throughout the theatre. Maybe one backstage and one in the catwalks. Although I have researched it and I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about DMX, I don't really know what connections would have to be made. Assuming I can get the cable to wire it all together, is this a possible DIY project, or do I need a licensed electrician to do this type of work?

If you have unfilled conduit or wire path in the right locations it could be very easy.
If not, it could quickly turn into a nightmare.

It should be pretty easy then.
An experienced a/v installer would likely be able to do the job much faster than you can and offer guarantees on their work.

Well just to get an idea of what needs to happen, does the wall plate need to lead all the way back to the board and into another universe, or to the dimmer rack?

When we installed our DMX cable, we ran a Belden cable from the light booth to the dimmer rack. We "terminated" the wire in the light booth in a junction box and put a wall plate on the end of the cable and screwed it down. We have a double ended cable which goes from the wall plate to our board. We had the end of the cable on the dimmer rack side, "terminate" in two ways. The cable is directly hooked into the control module for our dimmer rack. We also have a wall plate at the dimmer rack. You can run a show from the dimmer rack or the light booth.

We are also running another cable which goes from a junction box in the light booth to the catwalk for the lights. Eventually (when we get the money), we will have a connection between the catwalk junction booth and the raceway on the catwalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back