Intercom over 4-pin?

Mauser

I was recently working in a theater that had its intercom walk away on them a few years back, and ever since have been using varying combinations of phones and two way radios to communicate. So naturally, I set out to discover what it would take to put in a new comm system, and in my search I realized the whole theater was wired for a 4 pin intercom system. All of the wall jacks are all 4 pin xlr. In my experience and from doing some research I have yet to find an intercom that uses 4 pin as its communication, I've only ever seen it used for headsets. Does anyone know of a system that uses 4 pin as an interconnect?

Their intercom was stolen a few years back. There was no patch bay that I could find, but its still possible, I didn't manage to find a building wiring diagram for comm. They didn't have any headsets to test it with, so I didn't have the chance to just plug one in.

How recent of a change is that that clear comm only uses 4 of the 6 pins? I want to say the theater was built in the 70s, but I'm not 100% on that. And wouldn't running clearcom require the use of an adapter per pack?

I'm pretty sure that change has been in place for a while, its hard to even find references to what pins 5 and 6 do anymore. You would have to use an adapter cable, or just swap out those 4 pin XLRs for 6 pin, or dual 3 pin, or whatever you need.

Well Clear-Com 6pin cables come with pins 5 and 6 disconnected, their 6 pin wallplates are the same way. They also spec 4 conductor cable for permanent installations. I even spoke to clear com tech support, and they told me that since most newer systems put program over the PL, they don't require the other 2 pins.

What they do with their wiring has nothing to do with the fact that the 6-pin connectors on their partyline 2-ch beltpacks have always had pins 5&6 as program sound and still do.
Check out the manuals for the RS-602, RS-622, RS-702.

No. You are wrong, sorry. Take a look at the manual for the RS-500 series. It plainly states that pins 5 and 6 have no connection. The program audio in the 600 and 700 series are there for legacy systems.

In any case OP, you can use a clear-com 2 channel system with 4 conductors, just adapt on the wallplates. And if you do decide to do that, make sure to get switchcraft-style 6-pin XLRs, Neutrik has 2 configurations.

No. You are wrong, sorry. Take a look at the manual for the RS-500 series. It plainly states that pins 5 and 6 have no connection. The program audio in the 600 and 700 series are there for legacy systems.
I don't know why the RS-500 had them disconnected, but it's probably because it's internal circuitry didn't have a program sound input. If their latest products support those lines then that has to be what they're for.
Do you have some documentation from Clear-Com that says that pins 5&6 should no longer be used on 2-ch Partyline systems?

Now now, let's all take a few deep breaths.
We don't need a fight over something as trivial as a few optional connector pins...

Now now, let's all take a few deep breaths.
We don't need a fight over something as trivial as a few optional connector pins...
Not fighting, just a discussion. Lots of people read these forums for advice, and it's important that the information is correct and complete. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know. Besides, the thread is a discussion on connector pinouts for intercom...

For the record, fora are a *miserable* way to aggregate knowledge, both for their lack of indexing, and for the reason MrX points up above. Editing, or 'curation', or whatever you call it, is a very useful tool. It's why this board has a wiki built in, though it doesn't seem to get as much use as you'd expect/prefer.

Reactions: MrX
If anyone wants to update our wiki entry on Clear-Com with pin outs or manual scans, be our guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I prefer forum discussions to Wikis. It's a long way from, but closer to, human conversation as opposed to reading a collaborative book on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer forum discussions to Wikis. It's a long way from, but closer to, human conversation as opposed to reading a collaborative book on the subject.

Well, I would argue that it isn't hard to link directly back to a pertinent discussion from a Wiki article, especially when the Wiki is part of the same site.

True, but then the wiki stands with clear accurate information for the next person with a question. It saves them from having to wade through threads looking for the information.

Edit: typed while greenia was typing it looks like.

Via tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back