Interesting Power Consumption Article

A facility designed from scratch to make extensive use of LED for stage and house lighting would be primarily be using remote controlled power distribution and a lot less of that then dimmers for incandescent .

I could see where the reduced hardware and installation costs would easily make up the purchase costs of the more expensive LED systems. Then the electricity saved long term is all gravy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And dimmer rooms and smaller hvac systems and more. We think little to no premium initial cost; and yes, long term is savings.

Strikes me that an LED upgrade would be better spent on the architectural lighting system! Almost 20 times more power is used in that system then the stage lighting. People focus on the watt and forget the duration of use. With a slew of 2800k to 3200k options available, there is no aesthetics lost short of chandelier lamps!

Strikes me that an LED upgrade would be better spent on the architectural lighting system! Almost 20 times more power is used in that system then the stage lighting. People focus on the watt and forget the duration of use. With a slew of 2800k to 3200k options available, there is no aesthetics lost short of chandelier lamps!

I don't disagree in general but to get suitable theatrical dimming you have to be careful and bypass many common LED fixtures. Often relamping costs will justify changing but again, it's not easy to get good dimming without vigilance and expertise.

My orchestra section alone has 440 - 34 watt A lamps, all in recessed ceiling coves, reminiscent of Radio City Music Hall.

There's no way I would be looking at screw in LED lamps for this. I'd be researching linear strips of LED's that need local power and DMX. It's not just the units though, it's also removing existing fixtures, changing the power distro system and then getting DMX to the fixtures. I'd also probably swap out my legacy Unison system for Paradigm, so there's another $25,000.

Not sure we'd ever see the money back in electrical savings. Lamp changing labor maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back