Interview Dress Code

Yeah, I think the watch thing is not likely to make a significant difference. Especially when interviewing for a shop sort of position. I wouldn't wear a wrist watch in the shop and, for that reason (among others) I don't actually own a wrist watch. I wouldn't expect someone I was interviewing to necessarily own one either.

Shirt and tie and nice pants and shoes were what I wore to my most recent interview at an events company, which got me a job as a moving light tech. Then again, I think that the real "interview" was when I worked one of their load-outs when they were on campus for free and then gave the crew chief/project supervisor my contact info to give to HR. That "interview" after the load-out was black ETC swag shirt, black jeans, black shoes.

So for the more "style conscious" of yalls, French Cuffs on the gentlemen or no? If yes, what kind of cuff links are your favorite? My personal favorite paris are silver skulls and silver penguins. Have a couple others in gold and various stones, but the plain silver I think looks the nicest.

Personally, I've always been a nice jeans and dress shirt guy, with no tie. With rock and roll stuff I am more concerned about over dressing and looking like I don't belong. I could be totally off base, but if you are interviewing with a rock and roll guy in a t-shirt you don't want to be in a suit.

Then again, I think the situation dictates a lot. If you are interviewing with an HR person I think it makes more sense to dress up than if you are interviewing with the head of the shop or whatever.

//just my 2 cents.

Who are you interviewing with? Spark? ITC? Exclusive? Logic?

So for the more "style conscious" of yalls, French Cuffs on the gentlemen or no? If yes, what kind of cuff links are your favorite? My personal favorite paris are silver skulls and silver penguins. Have a couple others in gold and various stones, but the plain silver I think looks the nicest.

I love my french cuff shirts. I have a wide variety of cuff links, including the compass / thermometer ones. For an interview I would stick with something more timeless though like my monogrammed ones, that match my watch and tie tack. I have also been cliche and worn my comedy / tragedy set, and have received compliments on them.

~Dave

I have a wide variety of cuff links... I have also been cliche and worn my comedy / tragedy set, and have received compliments on them.

That's a great strategy. Having served on several hiring committees, it's so critical to set yourself apart from the rest of the crowd as something memorable. Comedy/tragedy cuff links is a great example of a way to do it. Wearing cuff links shows you take the job seriously and respect the people hiring you enough to go the extra mile and dress up. Several people will apply for the job, and more than one will dress nicely, but the comedy/tragedy links are unique. People on the committee will remember you as "the guy with the cuff links". If "the guy with the cuff links" also has a good resume, he's in much better shape than the guy who just wore his Dockers and a polo shirt. All this said be careful, because you don't want to stand out in a way that makes you seem like a freak that won't fit in at the employer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back