Introduction

BarBear

Hey all!

I'm a new member here despite lurking occasionally for years. I'm a professional actor, director, and educator (I know, *BOO! HISS!* for those 1st two), but my first non-dance recital theatre experience was as a techie in high school. And since I usually work with low-budget-yet-creative companies, over the years I've lent a hand in almost every backstage/tech field, including stage management, set design and construction, scenic painting, prop building, makeup artistry, costuming, running crew, light board operating, etc. My philosophy, even as an actor and director, is that without good tech people, the show doesn't happen--we're all part of the ensemble.

Ironically, my specialty is "Original Practices" Shakespearean theatre, which tech-wise essentially means we don't use anything that requires electricity. I'm accustomed to being lit by the sun and shaking thunder sheets during storm scenes. That's actually what first brought me to ControlBooth: searching for tech inspiration when my OP training doesn't apply to more modern productions.

I love the artistic possibilities of technical theatre, I greatly appreciate those who do it, and I wish I could do more of it!

So I'll assume all of your costumes are sewn solely by hand?

Mine aren't, largely because I and the companies I usually work with simply don't have the resources to do so. My graduate program did require those in the costume course to sew their projects by hand, and the company we trained with has done at least one show with all hand-sewn replica costumes.

I'd be happy to discuss the "what constitutes Original Practices" debate if people are interested. It's a lot messier than you might imagine.

Thanks for the welcome!

(And thankfully, while I have been asked to appear naked on stage--a request I respectfully declined--I have not been involved in a "nekkid Shakespeare" show!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back