IPhone 14 Pro Wi-Fi Issues

Zebetz

Hello all. I’m having an issue. I think my iPhone might be gaslighting me… it keeps saying it’s not connected to Wi-Fi, but it is… it definitely is. And I’m having a devil of a time troubleshooting this, because Apple is like a terrible gatekeeper. I got this phone against my will and, honestly, it’s been a nightmare. Android is so sensible. Anyway - has anyone heard of this problem? Does anyone perchance have a solution? Best wishes, internet sleuths!

Wx

Attachments

• 0E8FF3D9-D0E3-4984-AD37-73999D069F32.png
    0E8FF3D9-D0E3-4984-AD37-73999D069F32.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 25
I would probably try telling it to "forget" that connection..then shut the phone completely down, restart and re connect.
Also does that wifi connection have actual external internet connection? You might get a notification like that if you are connected to wifi, but it is providing no external internet, and then you are defaulting to your cellular signal for actual internet. Just spitballing.

Tried forgetting and restarting; tried resetting network settings… that network does connect to the internet. My wife’s phone - same model - is having the same problem. This problem happens on multiple networks, so not specific to this router/connection. It’s weird.

Would you be willing to show the built in Settings App> Wifi> 'little blue i'

I've noticed that some websites or services don't like when Limit IP Tracking or Private Wifi Address are checked.
Also, if you happen to have a manually set DNS, that might cause an issue as well.

Would you be willing to show the built in Settings App> Wifi> 'little blue i'

I've noticed that some websites or services don't like when Limit IP Tracking or Private Wifi Address are checked.
Also, if you happen to have a manually set DNS, that might cause an issue as well.
9BFDA86A-42AD-47C0-9B64-F35072B44532.png

Attachments

• EEC4F38A-769D-4C68-8B42-CD5C2A143699.png
    EEC4F38A-769D-4C68-8B42-CD5C2A143699.png
    364.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for that.
Just to be clear - troubleshooting network devices is usually annoying.
Is there any similarity between the locations you have issues? Like - they all have comcast routers, or they're all brick buildings, something like that?

My first test would be to visit ipchicken.com See if you're on a public IP from your ISP, not your cell carrier.
If that checks out, visit fast.com, see if your speed is ok, then click more info and make sure your latency is under 20ms. Anything higher and the issue is your roundtrip time. Websites will time out if they don't get a response.
I also don't leave DNS on auto when at home. I use 8.8.8.8 or 208.67.222.222 Just don't do this when you're out. Corporate, school and coffee shop networks sometime use DNS re-routing to authenticate you.
Good luck

Thanks for that.
Just to be clear - troubleshooting network devices is usually annoying.
Is there any similarity between the locations you have issues? Like - they all have comcast routers, or they're all brick buildings, something like that?

My first test would be to visit ipchicken.com See if you're on a public IP from your ISP, not your cell carrier.
If that checks out, visit fast.com, see if your speed is ok, then click more info and make sure your latency is under 20ms. Anything higher and the issue is your roundtrip time. Websites will time out if they don't get a response.
I also don't leave DNS on auto when at home. I use 8.8.8.8 or 208.67.222.222 Just don't do this when you're out. Corporate, school and coffee shop networks sometime use DNS re-routing to authenticate you.
Good luck
So both locations are using spectrum broadband. We have a net gear Orbi here, and an archer at the other location. Ipchicken reveals that it’s a spectrum up address. Response time 12ms- my next test is going to be to grab my old android and see if it’s having the same issue. I really feel like this is an iPhone 14 pro issue.

Edit:not sure why / don’t exactly have evidence that’s the issue- just the way iPhone manages Wi-Fi is strange to me…

I've never noticed iPhones manage network connections any different than any other device except for those privacy things you had turned off.

Any issues on like Starbucks wifi? That's usually my litmus test because those network engineering contractors strive for bulletproof connections to eliminate tech calls.
Vs my office of 50 people, 40 Cisco APs, 10 GB internet, and I can't stay connected to a zoom call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back