Control/Dimming Issues connecting an Element with an iPad

I'm having trouble getting an iPad to connect to an ETC Element at one of my theatres. I've adjusted IP addresses and subnet masks as suggested by the ETC pages. The iPad connects just fine to the router, but never finds the console no matter what I try.

Is it something in the Element settings I've missed? Do I need to do some set up on the router itself? Anything else I might have overlooked?

Thanks!

Hey BlueSparks,

First, some simple things. Forgive me, but just for the sake of asking:
  • Is the box "Wifi Remote" under Settings > Network > Interface Controls checked?
  • Is the Element physically wired in to the network? Have you double checked that the cable connecting the Element to the network is good?
  • We're talking about a physical Element, yes? Not a dongle-enabled piece of software?
OK, those out of the way:
  • I've found Eos line consoles seem happiest when they get to control their own DHCP service. This means under the Network tab in settings, un-checking "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and giving the console a static IP. Then, enable DHCP service further down in the settings, and set the subnet mask and starting address as suggested by ETC. This may be what you already did, but I wanted to check that when you were "adjusting IP addresses and subnet masks," you were talking about the console as well as the router.
  • Is this a router solely dedicated to the lighting network? Or are you sharing a router/access point with other services?
Hope some of this is helpful!

I'm having trouble getting an iPad to connect to an ETC Element at one of my theatres. I've adjusted IP addresses and subnet masks as suggested by the ETC pages. The iPad connects just fine to the router, but never finds the console no matter what I try.

Is it something in the Element settings I've missed? Do I need to do some set up on the router itself? Anything else I might have overlooked?

Thanks!

One of the simple things ETC recommends is to go into setting on the app and reset the password.

Hey BlueSparks,

First, some simple things. Forgive me, but just for the sake of asking:
  • Is the box "Wifi Remote" under Settings > Network > Interface Controls checked?
  • Is the Element physically wired in to the network? Have you double checked that the cable connecting the Element to the network is good?
  • We're talking about a physical Element, yes? Not a dongle-enabled piece of software?
OK, those out of the way:
  • I've found Eos line consoles seem happiest when they get to control their own DHCP service. This means under the Network tab in settings, un-checking "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and giving the console a static IP. Then, enable DHCP service further down in the settings, and set the subnet mask and starting address as suggested by ETC. This may be what you already did, but I wanted to check that when you were "adjusting IP addresses and subnet masks," you were talking about the console as well as the router.
  • Is this a router solely dedicated to the lighting network? Or are you sharing a router/access point with other services?
Hope some of this is helpful!
Thanks for the fast reply!

To answer your questions:
  • The Wifi remote box is checked.
  • The Element console is wired directly to a WLAN on the router. I have not checked the cable, but it's brand new with the router, so I assumed the cable is good.
  • This is a physical Element board, not any PC or software.

• I have tried adjusting the static vs. dhcp settings, but I will try doing it exactly as you have listed.
  • I have NOT adjusted any settings on the router. Is this something else I need to look into doing?
  • The router is dedicated to the lighting system, and it is only physically connected to the console (no modem or any connection to the internet). Wirelessly, only my iPad can currently connect to the router.

Hope that helps explain my setup and situation. Thanks!

One of the simple things ETC recommends is to go into setting on the app and reset the password.

Thanks for the tip. I've tried resetting the password on the app. I also changed the device name and the app password to match, but that hasn't solved the problem.

What IP address range is your router in? I always program mine to be in the ETC 10.101.x.x with subnet mask 255.255.0.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back