Large Scale flame effect

peacefulone61

So I am working on a show that will requier a flame special effect this effect dose not need to look beilivelable but more like an intential flame effect. I and am trying to figure out the best way to produce the illusion that the whole set is burning (set consists of three Pagents Wagons).
In the past for small flame effects like a campfire or barrel fire, I have used a small fan with some Orange, yellow and red fabric and some leds on a color chace to great sucess. When I tried to figure out how to upscale this I have had issues due to the size of the fans and the amount of noise they produce.
I was wondering if anyone had any expereince with doing something like this in the past. Or could point me in a diffrent direction.
I plan on having the LD use the Flame effects that are pre loaded in our moving lights to help out but still would like something physcial on stage

So I am working on a show that will requier a flame special effect this effect dose not need to look beilivelable but more like an intential flame effect. I and am trying to figure out the best way to produce the illusion that the whole set is burning (set consists of three Pagents Wagons).
In the past for small flame effects like a campfire or barrel fire, I have used a small fan with some Orange, yellow and red fabric and some leds on a color chace to great sucess. When I tried to figure out how to upscale this I have had issues due to the size of the fans and the amount of noise they produce.
I was wondering if anyone had any expereince with doing something like this in the past. Or could point me in a diffrent direction.
I plan on having the LD use the Flame effects that are pre loaded in our moving lights to help out but still would like something physcial on stage
You can scale up the effect but use a larger computer fan. You can get a 6-8" diameter than makes almost no noise, still only uses 12v. Or use multiple smaller units but put them on a rheostat, heck they make em for custom PC builds. dial down the fans to a point that they are useful but quiet.

Allied Electronics gives a noise and air flow rating for most of the fans they sell. If you have time to prototype, buy the biggest quietest fan that seems reasonable and is within budget and go from there.

Or depending on the set construction you might be able to use a large noisy fan that is located physically away from the stage and vent the air into the set pieces.

You could reduce the amount of air you need to move by partially suspending the fabric, and just using the fan(s) to make it flap around a little (rather than counting on the airflow to hold the fabric up the way you might with smaller effects).

Also, how big is big?

AH ! then perhaps Perforated PVC pipe with a Good sized fan mounted venturi style in the end. If you can hide that, that is.

Another idea is piping in the air from elsewhere. Its pretty common in my area to find an old furnace blower here and there. They're built to move air long distances, and are relatively quiet (relative to a dust collector blower I guess haha). if you can locate one far enough off stage and shroud it it some "acoustic" material to reduce noise, i don't doubt you could move enough air to blow 24' of flames if you incorporate the pvc as mentioned above.

Another benefit it that usually you can just plug them into a wall or dimmer as they run on 120...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back