Almost, Maine Lighting Effect

carsonld

Our school is doing Almost, Maine for our one act comp piece. We have minutes to get our set on and off stage and we have 1 hour the day before to program our lights. We never know where the competition will be held until a couple days before. More than likely it will be held at our schools auditorium though. Some of the rules include we cannot rig anything, we cannot mess with the lights that they already have (No putting gobos, gels etc in.) Even though we are hosting it, I have to make the lighting plot fairly simple and flexible for everyone, (I attached it below).
exported.PNG

So now that I have all of that covered heres my problem... Creating the Aurora Borealis effect. I have about 6 36* fixtures left and one altman CYC light do create the effect. What Im figured I would do is get some cloud gobos or something and some split gels for the 6 lights and put 3 on a boom, and but the boom on a wagon. This way we could easily take it on and off while setting up and if we win we can easily take it to another venue. I would also probably get a stage pin to Edison converter so we can plug it in to a Edison outlet. I also figured that I would just get a couple of the stage hands to slowly move in and out the gobo holder to create movement.My problem now lies where I am going to project it. I though about ordering a small scrim that we could some how rig, almost like a projector screen. My other option would be projecting it on the black curtain in the back, and maybe the waves of the curtains would do something for it, I wont be able to get up to the school until Thursday so cant try any of this out. What would you suggest? I think I could make this if it didnt have to be so flexible! My other question is if you have dont this production; what did you do for this effect and what gels and gobos did you use?

Any help would be great! Im kinda stuck here! Thank you!

Rosco makes a double gobo projector rotator called the X24. I am not sure what it would cost to rent in your area. We used it in a production of Almost, Maine and it was perfect for the aurora borealis effect. It's small enough you could put it on a stand. It's 120V powered, can be analog or dmx. It does take a moment to warm up. I made a shutter out of blacktack covered and concovered as necessary and just left it on for the entire evening. If I find the photos I will link them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back