Large Scale Flame Light

djnotloc

Show choir season is starting up again and this year one of the directors I work for wants a lighting effect that's a cross between the cheap little flame lights ADJ sells and the big dancing socks out in front of car dealerships. Has anyone ever seen something like this. She wants the material flowing and lit, except on a larger scale than those flame lights. Any ideas of a homemade contraption would work as well.

Thanks
Colton

I actually just designed a ballet and the company had this box fan with lightweight cut out fabric, and they asked me to light it - Added some Ambers, Reds, Orange fire fx on my LEDs...They even had a smaller fog machine supplying the smoke. It all was hidden well by the realistic looking logs they had around the fan's stand/table thing.

All in all, It turned out rather nice...The massive bonfire ended up being 5ft tall, I believe.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
You mean something like this?

P1010806.JPG
P1010809.JPG
P1010807.JPG
P1010965.JPG

This is what the Pageant built in house for some of our fire effects. The silk flame is about two feet high.

The frame was welded in our metal shop. The fans are 120 volt equipment cooling fans purchased from Mcmaster-Carr. The amber and blue floodlights came from Home Depot, but I don't think they carry them anymore. The electrical was done by me. The flame is simply cut silk or similar fabric from our costume department. The mesh screen, meant to keep the silk from getting sucked into the bottom of the fan came from a local hardware store. The giant pot came from a garden supply center. The base that it all rests on was built in our metal shop.

An alternative to making your own might be one of these.

Last edited:
Yes both your responses are along the right track. She wants the material to blow up probably around 8 feet. And, the effect wont necessarily be red to emulate a fire. That was just my example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back