Laugh of the Day

Oh Derek, I bought the Parker, Wolf and Block version a few years ago. The textbook for my lighting class is Gillette's Designing with Light.

I also just got A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting by Shelley.

Oh, my prof. also has a Photometrics Handbook.

Uh, wait, which book exactly?

Uh, wait, which book exactly?
Don't tell me you don't know of this book, gafftapegreenia !!!

Photometrics Handbook, by Robert C. Mumm. Shame on you. Has almost every theatrical fixture used in US from 1960-present. I would not put it high on Charc's list, but for you it's a MUST! Oddly enough, it's not that great on Photometric information, (for instance, doesn't list size and focal length of lenses in fixtures) but is an excellent resource, though somewhat incomplete, for identifying unknown fixtures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't tell me you don't know of this book, gafftapegreenia !!!
Photometrics Handbook, by Robert C. Mumm. Shame on you. Has almost every theatrical fixture used in US from 1960-present. I would not put it high on Charc's list, but for you it's a MUST!
Indeed, none of the lighting students here at the U of U had heard of that book, so you can imagine, once I showed one of them my copy, everyone wanted to borrow it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derek, of course I know about the Photometrics Handbook, I want one but I heard it's out of print.

Charc didn't specify which book. He quoted my whole post
. Now, I could have assumed he meant the handbook, but you know what happens when you assume

...everyone wanted to borrow it.
Make them buy their own, or you may never get yours back!

Oh Derek, I bought the Parker, Wolf and Block version a few years ago. The textbook for my lighting class is Gillette's Designing with Light.
I also just got A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting by Shelley.
Oh, my prof. also has a Photometrics Handbook.
Well, I daresay I own more books on Stage Lighting than your professor. I'm older, and I have more insurance. Logos, what's that from? But owning books and using them are two different things. And I won't even start on his use of Gillette. I highly approve of Shelley's book, however.

Derek, you probably do. I'm building my collection. Just found the Handbook on Amazon, ordering it tonight.

The Shelley book is fantastic. Just from my initial readings I feel like, finally, here is a book that talks about the practice and the life as much as the method.

And Gilette, don't rant, I've already read those posts.

Derek, of course I know about the Photometrics Handbook, I want one but I heard it's out of print.
What is it with all this "out of print" nonsense? The only two, well three, useful books we've ever discussed that are officially out of print, but still available via many sources, are:

A Method of Light the Stage, Stanley McCandless
Stage Design, Howard Bay
The Magic of Light, Jean Rosenthal.

Ebay the above if you have to. The three above are ones that every Lighting Designer should have in his/her collection. Still waiting on Gafftaper's review of Stage Design.

Derek I just ordered the Handbook from Amazon. Don't fret.

Derek I just ordered the Handbook from Amazon. Don't fret.
Well, there goes my edge. Now you'll be jumping ahead of me to identify that Kliegl 1355/8 that someone has posted a picture of. (But I know what lens is in it:)).

Yup your days are numbered. :twisted:

I do not like green eggs and ham.

I do not like them Sam I am.

yes, well i wasn't too many years ago that appealed to me

Still waiting on Gafftaper's review of Stage Design.

Umm... I just had Wenger back up two semi trucks full of staging and chairs to my theater. I may not have time to read until spring. Plus, my work here is never done... how can I read when there is so much posting to be done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back