Converting SMD5050 RGB+ header analog to DMX or other systems

worldjoe

Technical problem:
I have almost a dozen light shows written specifically for an old Procyon Mind Machine, that is no longer manufactured. The Procyon just outputs to SMD5050 LED strips, which have RGB+ headers. I'm trying to save myself from having to re-write the light shows to a modern lighting standard. Presumably something like DMX? I'm not even sure of the right terminology to use yet. The end goal would be to play the light show via the Procyon, use some sort of hardware to convert the RGB+ analog data into something like DMX that I can record, using something like Art-Net Recorder by Light Jams. Then I can ditch the old hardware and playback the light shows using a modern system. And I can start programming new light shows using the modern system. If you want a laugh, the old system uses Excel to visualize the programs! So, my ask is: What is the best route for recording this light show with the highest accuracy?

My journey:
I reached out to a couple of companies that sell DMX recorders and one of them pointed me at Doug Fleenor's ANL2DMX. That product is expensive, at that price I'd rather rent it, or pay someone to convert the shows for me - since I only need to record 8 shows @ 15 minutes each. But I could be talked into buying it and trying to recoup some costs selling it on eBay afterwards. But that gave me some keywords to search on and I found a few other products, from this forum. The Northlight ENC08 or ENCM08 sounded great, at that price point I was willing to buy it and just try it out. But VERY sadly, the owner of Northlight passed away, and their store is now just a reminder of what once was. Another device I found is the Pathway PWINF Analog to DMX Interface. But I can't even figure out how to buy one. When I try to find a local agent or distributor, from the Pathway website, the websites I end up on are all for home builders that don't actually sell products directly to customers. Or at least, that's what it seems like. I found one thread talking about the Leviton IF 501 Protocol Converter, but I'm not so sure about that one - I just don't understand it's marketing and manual. Tinkering won't be a problem for me, but if one device will more accurately record the signals in a way that will playback accurately, then I'll lean into that despite the costs.

About me:
I am an avid tinkerer, knowledgeable in Arduinos, 12V systems and software programming.

Products I found that might work for me:

Some threads I found that gave me some ideas (but I didn't want to hijack them):

Thanks,
Joe.

If you don't need more than 4 channels then the IF 501 might be something to try. It is popular enough that you might be able to rent it instead of a purchase. It probably would sell easier on ebay if you did buy it.

All of these analog to DMX converters generally expect a 0-10 volt input. Additional circuitry will be needed to make this work.

If you don't need more than 4 channels then the IF 501 might be something to try. It is popular enough that you might be able to rent it instead of a purchase. It probably would sell easier on ebay if you did buy it.

All of these analog to DMX converters generally expect a 0-10 volt input. Additional circuitry will be needed to make this work.
I hadn't realized that the SMD strip is powered by more than 10 volts. Not sure what they usually power with. BUT, the Procyon runs off just 3 AA batteries, which are 1.5V each. I'm actually amplifying the voltage with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KRC7SNL/?tag=controlbooth-20 But I won't need to amplify before recording, I guess.

If you want a laugh, the old system uses Excel to visualize the programs! So, my ask is: What is the best route for recording this light show with the highest accuracy?
I think, very humble, you are on one of those journeys the real question is: "Do I invest in hardware and mental input to reconvert my existing data, or start from scratch with aa new system and try step by step recreating the existing programs.. In both ways you end with the eight programs in the new format. In the latter choice you won't have laying new hardware on your desk that has done it's on-trick-pony-trick and has no use, slurping a little bit more energy for returning to de rental or et it's way by eBay. More important, You are all qualified for the new system and can go ahead creating amazing stuff without first have to bother knowing your new system.
That said, was I in your place I would be enchanted by the excel-sheet. That has to have all the data hidden somewhere in it.When you have any way to extract those data, it should be possible to convert to DMX-data (or something fancier).
Say for a program every row in the sheet resembles 10ms of the program, and every ther columns the RGB-values of one strip (ABC = RGB(10), DEF = RGB(2)....). And say the value is just the voltage (0-12V). This would be fairly simple yet there ar a huge number of cells. When you make a new sheet (2) with the formula =Sheet1!A1/12*255 and transpose this formula you hve in fact the complete set of DMX data. Well, you'll have to add things like DMX-adresses, timings...
I would think they have protected the sheet. There may be some more huddles to get to the data, big chance those hurdles look worse than they are. Most people misusing the Excel-format for those goals are more driven by the result than security.
Oh, the Excel route won't leave you any unused new hardware, and you still have to learn the new system. So probably not the best choice.
But I'm afraid a puzzle i couldn't resist
I wish you wisdom

I see a couple gaps in what I think you're thinking. One is that the old controller almost certainly doesn't output an analog voltage to control the LEDs, but PWM. The products you're looking at that convert analog to DMX wouldn't know what to do with a PWM signal unless you add some additional circuitry to integrate PWM into an analog voltage. The other thing is that DMX recorders don't generally provide you with a file that you can then view and edit in any meaningful way. They would give you a way to play the existing shows without your old controller, but doesn't help you along the path of moving towards a newer platform.

You're better off picking your new controller and using the recreation of the old shows as an exercise in learning how to use it. As Vince suggested, the spreadsheet may be helpful in pulling the information you need. Also, many consoles can import the standard USITT ASCII showfile format if you have a way to export to that. Basically, you want to look at ways to transition on the showfile side--not by capturing the output.

If you're feeling ambitious, you could probably write some code to parse those spreadsheet files directly. Not sure if any of the regular Arduino's would be up to it (depending on how big the files are), but something ESP32 based or moving to a Raspberry Pi would give you more options for rolling your own controller.

@Malabaristo , you are right, the controller outputs will not easily convert to DMX. And in mine opinion investing in that solution knowing the next step will a new and more up to date system is, in my opinion, dumping money in the pool.
AsI read the TS (with some corona sheep wandering in my head) de controller converts it to a excel sheet that's a kind of visiualiser. I've seen some impressive Excel files in other fields. One that visualizes the tides along the coast of our country. Astonishing but not the thing Excel is made for. Bottom line: most of worksheets contain one or more sheets with the formulas and one or more sheets displaying all the data coming from those formulas. In yet another sheet one visualizes all those data. It can be done in a less understandable way. Anyway, as i understand it is the Excel file just a way to see what happens and not something used for controlling one way or the other. If I'm wrong, blame the sheep). And I saw in that sheet another (theoretical) solution for converting existing shows into a new DMX-file. A better? Noway, As I stated starting from scratch with a new system is the right thing to do. If there has to be a relative quick fix in the meantime I would explore the Excel file and see if I could hack it. And probably bet some more horses and take the same google-journey as @worldjoe.
There is one thing When upgrading it's good to make shure it's compatible with what you have. But every Xth generation just go for what is currently the norm and be thankfully if there are some goods that are modern enough to stay (and don't be surprised some years later you fail to blow of the dust and realize it's time to let go. When the converter from old to new is not available in the shop that time has come or at least knocking on your door

Users who are viewing this thread

Back