LCP

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
Acronym for Lighting Console Programmer, a term/job classification created and perpetuated by IATSE Local 728, Studio Electrical Lighting Technicians in Los Angeles, CA.

See the file http://www.iatse728.org/s_guides/LCP...dy Guide.pdf for additional information.

Other abbreviations and acronyms unigue to the Hollywood film/TV industry:
Before Local 728 there was Local 37, a Hollywood super local that embraced all the backlot crafts. When some members of Local 37 (dubbed the "37 White Rats") grew restive and launched a rebellion against mob control of the IATSE, the International broke up Local 37 and in 1939 created Locals 728, 727, 80 and 44.
Local 728 is the only I.A.T.S.E. Local dedicated to Set Lighting.
To give a little of the Hollywood crafts terminology, I'll explain a little.
CLT = Chief Lighting Technician = Gaffer = Head of the set lighting department. Works with the DP - Dir. of Photography to light the set.
ACLT = Assistant Chief Lighting Technician = Best Boy = 2nd in command, in charge of personnel & equipment and paperwork.
Rigger = Usually works “off production” to place gear in the desired locations per the CLT’s & ACLT’s notes. In Hollywood, there is no distinction to where a rigger works like the floor or the perms.
RCLT = Rigging Chief Lighting Technician. Most shows have a RCLT & RACLT who will run the rigging crews.
Key Grip = head of the Grip dept.
Best Boy Grip = 2nd in command, in charge of personnel & equipment and paperwork.
‘The Key’ Grip is in charge of all safety on the set. They are the final call on all safety issues on set. Period. Unless the Studio Safety Personnel show up... Then THEY could take command. On some ‘famous’ lots, they are the final word!
If you cross them, they can have you removed from the lot in mere seconds.
Rigging is used in a few ways. Rigging plainly means putting something in place. You could ‘rig’ a light in a phone booth, or a car for example. Most shows have Rigging crews that pre rig the sets & locations and then wrap them when shooting is done. So a ‘rigger’ could be in the lighting or grip dept. Example: The rigging crew is going to rig the set on Thursday, then wrap it out Tuesday. I have used a harness the vast majority of the times on the rigging crew. Ah, good memories!
‘High Rigging’ or ‘Working up High’ would be working in the Perms of the stage. The Grips ‘go high’ in the perms and set ‘points’ for all the chain motors, greenbeds, frames, pipes, truss, trapezes and everything else needed.
Set Lighting, Local 728, riggers would be running the power. Local 80, Grips, place the majority of points for lighting. Lighting then rigs the light, grips will raise it, lighting focuses the light. Then the Grips will blackwrap the lights and use flags if necessary. Truss, condor mounts, greenbed hardware, nail on plates, ropes from the perms for lights are all installed by the Grip dept. 728 is NOT allowed to go off the perms catwalks into the "ozone" beams to do any work, that is only permitted to be Local 80.
Local 33 on the other hand does all stage craft work and they are interchangeable. They rig high points hang lights, lay the floor, etc.

Is this an actual acronym? I've never heard this used before. Programmers are just that, programmers.

Really? If so, this is definitely not a widespread term. Sometimes LBO is used informally to refer to Light Board Operator, but I've never heard LCP. At the least, this needs clarification for where/what segments of the industry use this term. Is it perhaps a film thing?

...Is it perhaps a film thing?
I think it might be, seeing as how the only two who have used the term are our two film people, Gern and meatpopsicle, from opposite sides of the country. Quite likely perfectly acceptable and common inside the Studio Mechanics Union, but unheard of anywhere else.

I think it might be, seeing as how the only two who have used the term are our two film people, Gern and meatpopsicle, from opposite sides of the country. Quite likely perfectly acceptable and common inside the Studio Mechanics Union, but unheard of anywhere else.

Ah okay, my apologies then. I didn't recall seeing the acronym anywhere in the forums, so I figured the OP drew from his own knowledge rather than defining a word that was used here. However, the use of the term should probably be added to the definition.

Now I'm off to scour the forums for instances of "LCP"! :)

Ah okay, my apologies then. I didn't recall seeing the acronym anywhere in the forums, so I figured the OP drew from his own knowledge rather than defining a word that was used here. However, the use of the term should probably be added to the definition.

Seconded! (I thought exactly the same thing)

LCP is IA 728's acronym for a programmer. It is, as thought, "Lighting Console Programmer". see http://www.iatse728.org/s_guides/LCP Study Guide.pdf .

I had thought that there were originally dimmer board ops that ran 2 scene Presets, LCPs who ran memory boards like Expressions, and Automated Lighting Programmers who ran moving lights and anything else like media servers. But I can't find that info on 728's site.

Gern could chime in here, its his local.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back