LED Moving Head - Beam Angle Question

kerner

Background Info:
I'm adding several moving heads to a portable worship setup our church uses. The current lighting setup includes 4 LED .5w PAR 64 cans and 4 LED .5w PAR 56 cans. This setup has worked very well for color wash and simple patterns. Sometimes the setup involves all the lights to the front/side, sometimes we set the 56s as back light. (see the attached plot)

Because this is a portable setup it gets used in a variety of rooms and sizes.

Setting 1: It's used weekly in a ballroom with 14 foot ceilings. In this setting the we have a tree to each side of the platform with about a 30' throw to the opposite side of the platform and a truss behind the platform. All of the lights are hung 10' above the platform.

Setting 2: Main Sanctuary - similar setup to above only with a longer throw from the front roughly 40'. It is used very rarely in this setting, but it does happen.

Setting 3: Youth Room - similar setup, lights only 8 feet above platform and a throw of 15 feet.

The moving heads will be used in a variety of layouts sometimes all hung (one per front truss and two on the rear) or various combinations of hanging and placed on the floor/platform/cases.

Question:
We're looking seriously into the Irradiant SRM-6072 LED mini moving head. It's a 36x1w fixture and can be configured with either a 10° or 25° beam angle as well as either a clear or diffused lens. We are planning to buy 4 fixtures in the very near future and possibly 2 more later in the year. For this type of a setup what would be the best approach?

I worry about the 25° beam because at 30' the beam covers roughly half of the platform (dramatically diminishing the usefulness of a moving fixture).

I worry about the 10° beam because at 15' it's only about a 3' spot.

Any suggestions? Should I go with 2 of of each beam angle for flexibility? What about the clear lens vs. the diffuse lens?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• StagePlot.jpg
    StagePlot.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 243
Two of the lights will sometimes be used from the front, sometimes from the floor, and sometimes from the back. There will always be a pair either on the back truss or set on platform/cases/floor.

We've had no difficulty with the .5w LEDs from this position as wash lights. There's other lighting in the room that provides white front light so the LEDs are used only for color.

Should also note that most of the time the throw on the lights is in the smaller rooms. We've used them twice in the large room, weekly in the smaller rooms.

Also wondering if there is a substantial difference between the beam of this type of LED fixture with a diffusion lens as opposed to a clear lens.

What will the difference be between a 10° beam with a clear lens vs. a diffuse lens? What about with 25° beam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back