Lid Supports

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Them things that keep say a trunk lid open or other than flopping over...

Think I have a McMaster Carr 1227A73ºº

Would take a rocket scientist so as to figure out how to use it. Way too adjustable and without instructions on mounting. Fascinating and with some study I’m sure it will have an application but for now, way too complex but very adjustable. I don’t get it in how to make it work.
Drawer guides come with instructions and detailed drawings, this in even more complex than center line for mounting screws didn’t. Lid supports are difficult enough to install, this version would take a lot of tinkering to figure out how to make it work.

Bought a few versions of lid support for this GreenLee punch tool cabinet I’m building, finally settled on the store bought Stanley lid support for now given it’s brass and fairly easy to figure out with only five adjustments as to where the lid support got mounted. Hope there is a left side lid support in that as of tonight I have two right side supports by mistake.

Overall lid supports say for a cedar chest trunk is a fairly well known type of gear, used them a few times over the years - yet to see any science in how to mount them. While I did as with the last time finally get it mounted sufficiently, is there any proper way to mount such things short of trial and error and adjustment with new holes? Tonight I tried squaring my lid at 90° with a jig and got it done with that. Initial adjustment didn’t work, some shims and these Stanley supports are not stamped the same either in quality. Third try and I got it. Need to buy the Left side and I have that side hole punched for a similar height, but strange to me.

Lid supports are for me difficult to get correct short of trial and error. Any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back