Design Light Design for Comedy Show

TJenkins

Hi. I am currently doing the light design for the Jimmy Stewart classic "You Can't Take It With You." The stage version takes place all inside a house. I want to get a very warm, inviting look to the show, but also interesting and "different" as the family is very quirky. I have a basic idea of what gel colors I am using, but could use some advice.

Face light: R02
Xlight face light: R08
Side: R33

I am stuck on colors for back light and down light. I am thinking of doing possibly R64 for back light and R3411 for down. Back light fixtures are Strand 6" Fresnelites w/ 750W lamps in them and down light fixtures are PAR 64 with 1K W MFL lamps. Any ideas? Thanks.

TDJ

My first question - what color is the set? What colors are the costumes? What race are the actors and how dark are their skins?

About the house the set is representing. What is the color of the ceiling. When was the last time the room was painted? Are there any windows and where? What is outside of the windows? What time of day is the show?

How real do you want the lighting to look? Should the audience feel like they are looking at a real room in a real house or is is obviously a set?

I expect that once you answer these kinds of questions - the colors will start to sort themselves out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back