Design Lighting Design Software

TOG

I need a good, basic program for creating concert and event lighting plots. Drag n drop preferred. This will be running on a laptop using XP.
Any suggestions?
I'd love to find something free and/or open source, if possible. Anybody know anything that plays nice with GIMP and O^3?

One TYPICAL piece of software for this thing would be the notorious WYSIWYG (which costs like $3000), defiantly not open-source.

Vectorworks (also not free or open source) can also do this of course...
AutoCAD is NOT drag-n-drop, AND not free, or open source.

I have heard of some free CAD software (would not be drag and drop), but can't recall what it was called... There may indeed also be something else out there that I don't know of that will serve your purpose, be drag-and-drop, and open source...

If you find something good, Post it here!

As for the paperwork I use Lightwright, which ran me $500 way-back-when. But it does not do plotting (however the new version, which I do not have, interfaces with Vectorworks).

At the moment I'm hand-drawing the plots (with my good-old green plastic template), scanning them into the computer, and then adding text info (color, lens, channel, etc) in GIMP. Then I paste into a page of the Tech Rider I'm designing. It works but I was looking for something that would eliminate a few of the steps I have to take right now. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep looking.

Hello, The program that I use is called LXfree, you can see by the name that it is indeed free and I like it very much. You CAN 'drag and drop' if you want by just putting alot of instruments on there and dragging them around the way it is set up however is by selecting the fixture you want and the just clicking. You make designated lighting positions so it will automatically number the fixtures for you, you can also tell it to auto number channel and dimmer (but I usually don't). I has stock fixtures that match USITT standards which is a big plus for a free program I think. The only down fall I come across is that it doesn't have symbols for Automated Lights, what I have done is use something out of the ordinary like a mole and just label it as the fixture I want. Ok so here will be your hickup its a mac program BUT I found a java version, I haven't used it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Heres the like, LX Free
This is to the real site with everything about the program heres the java download site LXFree Java 0.12.23. Hope this helps let me know if you have other questions.

Oh and this also does have a paper work generator but I have never used it since I have LightWright.

Last edited:
WYSIWYG Report which just gives you the paperwork engine can be picked up for under a grand.

If you are already working in gimp, I would probably keep working in that program and expand out with a few more layers. There is also google sketchup, it could easily do block diagram light plots. Paint is another option. You would be amazed how many riders out there contain light plots made in paint.

All applications with the keyword 'Autocad' - AlternativeTo.net

All applications with the keyword 'Visio' - AlternativeTo.net

I would also check out Stage Research Softplot
..::Stage Research::..

It's a good but not great application - but it is pretty cheap ( $295 ).

"...If you are already working in gimp, I would probably keep working in that program and expand out with a few more layers. There is also google sketchup, it could easily do block diagram light plots. Paint is another option. You would be amazed how many riders out there contain light plots made in paint..."

I haven't tried Google Sketchup. I'll go check it out after I leave here.

With GIMP Every lens/color/txt call-out is a new layer. I've had up to seventy-plus layers without ever getting off the upstage truss. I tried the O^3 version of Paint and it just wasn't working for me- that's why I went to GIMP.

I DO use O^3 Document for making band stage plots- the controls at the bottom of the page offer all sorts of control over shapes but they just can't seem to make a realistic Source Four and other lighting instruments.

Sometimes the Learning Curve is a little abrupt. I had three days to make a Tech Rider for a touring band and wasn't graphically prepared for all the different kinds of plots and diagrams they needed. It has been interesting.
Anything I come up with in GIMP that relates to lighting design I'll pass on here because I'm sure there are others in my situation doing freelance production.

Sometimes the Learning Curve is a little abrupt. I had three days to make a Tech Rider for a touring band and wasn't graphically prepared for all the different kinds of plots and diagrams they needed. It has been interesting.
Anything I come up with in GIMP that relates to lighting design I'll pass on here because I'm sure there are others in my situation doing freelance production.

I don't know if this is still relevant, but I use Inkscape for plots rather than GIMP. I have a template for the theatre I work in most often, with bars and waylines marked, and have created symbols for the lights we have available. +1 for using layers though - it makes "Select all" much easier ;-)

Are you still using GIMP? I'd love to see one of your plots to understand how you were using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back