Design Lighting for News Media in a Theatre

appleaday

We will be hosting an event in our theatre in a few days that will be attended by news media and be on live TV. The speakers will be of different nationalities. I'm planning on front lighting them McCandlas with lavander and pale bastard amber. Will this be weird on camera? I've never dealt with tv lighting before. What ought I look out for?

I would suggest doing an advance with the TV crew. They will dictate color, plus they may have power constraints that will need to be dealt with.

We have done this type of event, political debates mostly.
Backlighting is also very good to use if possible, helps the speakers have dimension on camera.

Dead front, 45, 45, side, side, back, top if possible. Keep in mind that many speakers won't like front light so you have to do what you can. We have the governor and other dignitaries in reguarly, my rule with them is throw as much light as possible from all angles. When they (or usually their staff) start complaining, we start turning stuff off until the guys at NY Network start complaining. At that point, we call it a day. Most politicians are happy when the cameras are happy. Talk with your camera guys first. Know their names, because you will be asking them what looks good when the person at the podium asks to turn the lights down.

This was from the last time Cuomo was in the space:
proxy.php

We hit him with a lot of side, enough top to not wash out his prompter, and enough front to get under his eyes.

Have your bag of tricks ready. You don't want to have to pull out a genie when you have 30 elected officials in the room who have better things to do then to wait for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back