Control/Dimming Lightronics Board/ dimmers

photoatdv

So the middle school I'm helping out has 11 LED par cans, some builtin dimmable via dining room wall dimmer overhead lighting and no stage wash. The LEDs are controlled via a cheap scanner controller (like the one Derek has in his blog-- can you tell I've been really bored today). We're talking about getting 2 of those DJ towers with 4 parcans each. They also have a lightronics board with microplex output and a lightronics rack mount dimmer unit (but zero fixtures)

The board has only a microplex output, but a dmx output was an option. Is there any chance that the curcuit boards are the same and we could add the dmx port (the dimmers have a dmx and microple input). I'm hoping to keep them (3 miles) away from microplex.

Secondly the dimmers require 80A 3 phase or single phase 2 different phases?? or something along those lines. What is the likelyhood that the school would have the infrastructure to support this? We could (hopefully ) get the district electricians to install it or I believe one of the teachers said there are a couple of parents that are electricians that sometimes help out. My goal for these would be if they could install them to control the overhead lights (8 wall dimmers does not make for a nice BO!).

Then the lightronics board could be used for the lightronics dimmers and whatever shoebox dimmers are for the towers.

Ultimately I would like to see then with some type of descent console (really would like an express 24/48... but I doubt the could afford it... anyone know what a used one is going for?) that could control everything (3+ Ops does not make for very coordinated cues...).

Most any building large enough to be a school is going to have 3 phase power. Just make sure that the school electrician installs or approves the installation by a licensed electrician.

I can't speak for every Lightronics board, but the three that I have worked with that have DMX as an option, already have the necessary components on the circuit board, and all you need is a connector and the wiring to the circuit board from connector. One of the beauties of a Lightronics board is that you can run the microplex and the DMX at the same time.

I can't speak for every Lightronics board, but the three that I have worked with that have DMX as an option, already have the necessary components on the circuit board, and all you need is a connector and the wiring to the circuit board from connector. One of the beauties of a Lightronics board is that you can run the microplex and the DMX at the same time.

That's what I am hoping. It's one of the TL series (I can't remember which one). Do you know how the wiring would connect to the curcuit board? Is it something that we would be able to solder on? Last I was told the budget is to be $500-$1000 so the $120 plus shipping would really cut into the budget (and I like the $10 of parts idea much better anyway :) ) Unfortunately the fact that they won't send you the parts makes it sound like it is a little more difficult, but you never know.

There's a good chance that at least some of the HVAC equipment runs on 3 phase.
Some larger appliances in the kitchen or laundry also may use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back