Link Ion with Yamaha M7CL mixer?

ssellers

Ive been looking around CB for an answer, but cant seem to find one... So, I ask... Is there any way to link my M7 to my ETC ION?? I LD a dance show at the end of every year and would like to somehow be able to press GO on something and the music play as well as change to each of the 20+ light cues at specific times that i have for said song.... Is this even possible??? Perhaps link my laptop to both??? confusion.... Please email responses to [email protected]

Thanks so much!
Steven

I am not sure how linking an M7 to an Ion, would work. (That's actually something I might try out at some point to see if I can get it to work. Perhaps someone else on the boards have already done it.)

However if you are looking to link your laptop to the Ion, that's possible. You'd basically need to have the music on the laptop. I actually managed to do it for the first time yesterday. I needed my laptop, a show control software (Show Cue System), a USB-MIDI adapter and then the Ion ofcourse.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/21897-midi-ion.html

The link contains some of the questions I had regarding the process myself. Maybe it'll help.

- Karthik

This is an application for MIDI. You'd want two discrete MIDI outputs from your laptop, which you can get from a USB-MIDI adapter. In a program like SFX6, you then configure one MIDI port for your Ion and the other for your M7. Then you create your cue stack in SFX, which would consist of your audio files, your GO commands for the Ion, and your GO commands for your M7. For materials, you'll need the adapter, two MIDI cables and a copy of SFX or equivalent program.

You can download a demo version of SFX from their website. Unfortunately this tutorial is a little outdated (actually, a lot a outdated -- it's from v5.0, they're on 6.2 now), but it can give a glimpse into what setting up MIDI would be like within the program.

A quick copy 'n paste of the important stuff reveals the following information:
MIDI
All editions of SFX can be triggered through MIDI. SFX can also transmit MIDI commands to external devices such as light boards or mixing consoles. While MIDI is a standard, each device interprets the MIDI data in its own specific way. Manufacturers of MIDI controllable equipment will publish the set of MIDI commands their equipment understands and how those commands are interpreted.

For this tutorial it isn’t necessary to actually have another device connected to your computer, but if you do, then you can substitute the proper MIDI commands for the examples below.

Similar to Wave files, outputting MIDI needs an output Group:
1. Click on your Cues window to make it active.
2. Select from the main menu Cues | Patch | MIDI Patch.
3. In the Group 1 dropdown select the MIDI device that is the actual output (and NOT the synthesizer).
4. Click OK.

Any MIDI command in this Cues list assigned to Group 1 will be transmitted to this output.

Adding a MIDI Command:
1. Drag-and-drop a MIDI command from the Tool Box into your Cues window. The Effect Properties dialog box will appear.

There are three ways to input MIDI commands to this window. The first is to use the Builder View to create the actual MIDI data. You can use the dropdown boxes to select and fill in the appropriate data. If you know the exact MIDI raw data, then you can switch to Data View and type in the hexadecimal data. You can switch back-and-forth between Builder View and Data View to see how the data is converted. Finally, you can capture the MIDI data from an external device by clicking the Capture button. To capture data you must first set the proper MIDI input device and channel which is found under the main menu Tools | Options | MIDI Command Control.

For this example, assume you want to send a GO to a light board and the manufacturer of that device has specified that it takes a Program Change with the data of the cue number to execute. So, in the Effect Properties dialog box you will create that command in Builder View:

1. Select C0h Program Change from the MIDI Command dropdown.
2. Type 1 in the MIDI Data field. The MIDI Channel can be a number from 1 to 16 and this must match the same number that the MIDI gear was setup with (typically the device’s options allow you to setup the MIDI channel to listen on). Most devices default to MIDI channel 1 unless you’ve changed it.
3. Next, click on the Attributes tab and give this cue a Description.
4. Finally, click on the Output tab and highlight the proper MIDI output.
5. Click OK. The new MIDI command will appear in your cue list.
Anytime this cue is executed, it will transmit the MIDI command.

Last edited:
Why do you need Midi control of the M7? Are there multiple scenes for this? It sounds like it's probably just playback, usually a set it and forget it type thing. You know the M7CL doesn't actually play music, right?

I think this is actually an application for QLab. Pop in your audio file, set your following cues, and have them go at it that way. Alternatively, Timecode might be what you want to do. Actually, this is what I would do if I wasnt just going to hit go at each point in the song, which if you have more than 20 is going to be needed, unless you tend to prefer to do things live (some people do I guess).

Also, you *might* be able to play music off of the M7, I know you can off of the LS9, just plug in your USB key with the music on it.

Also, you *might* be able to play music off of the M7, I know you can off of the LS9, just plug in your USB key with the music on it.
No, you definately can't do that on an M7. I wish I could do it on ours !

No, you definately can't do that on an M7. I wish I could do it on ours !

Ok. I wasnt sure if Yamaha had included that feature. Seems like it would be easy enough, they already did it on other consoles.

Another vote for Qlab. I've done this with some pieces in dance shows before that go so fast or are so tightly synced to the music that a stage manager wouldn't be able to call the cues nearly as well as Qlab can fire them. Excellent platform, easy to use, and gets the job done with minimal hassle.

Another vote for Qlab. I've done this with some pieces in dance shows before that go so fast or are so tightly synced to the music that a stage manager wouldn't be able to call the cues nearly as well as Qlab can fire them. Excellent platform, easy to use, and gets the job done with minimal hassle.

Also, you can rent a cue lab licence for a dollar a day for academic use, so its really affordable, IMO, for low budget productions. Only real problem is you need a mac to run it, but a lot of schools have a macbook pro or mac lyign around.

Also, you can rent a cue lab licence for a dollar a day for academic use, so its really affordable, IMO, for low budget productions. Only real problem is you need a mac to run it, but a lot of schools have a macbook pro or mac lyign around.

Anybody have suggestions for a program for PC??? No Mac, No access to Mac, No desire for Mac.... Is SFX suggested by anybody???

Anybody have suggestions for a program for PC??? No Mac, No access to Mac, No desire for Mac.... Is SFX suggested by anybody???

[Raises Hand]
I certainly would... In fact there are a couple of shows a year I work on where I am doing exactly what it sounds like you are trying to do. I use SFX to send mute/un-mute commands to a Digital Audio Console as well as playing back sound effects, music, etc... It wouldn't be that much more difficult to add Go's for the lighting desk if it were necessary. The other nice thing is SFX has a great MIDI learn function; so you don't actually need to know how to create proper MIDI messages. All you have to do is enable learn, perform the action on the device you want to control (assuming you have MIDI coming back to SFX from the device in question), and SFX will capture the MIDI string.

I have found SFX to be very capable, and the support fantastic (including dealing with a couple of very strange issues).

Best,
John

The other nice thing is SFX has a great MIDI learn function; so you don't actually need to know how to create proper MIDI messages. All you have to do is enable learn, perform the action on the device you want to control (assuming you have MIDI coming back to SFX from the device in question), and SFX will capture the MIDI string.

To avoid confusion, I just want to clarify that to do this, you'd want four discrete MIDI ports from your laptop, an In and an Out for both devices.

To avoid confusion, I just want to clarify that to do this, you'd want four discrete MIDI ports from your laptop, an In and an Out for both devices.

Absolutely correct. M-Audio makes a small interface, the MIDISPORT 4x4, that is available for under $200 if your existing sound card is not sufficient. There are also options from the likes of MOTU, Cakewalk, and MIDI Solutions.

Best,
John

Another PC Software suggestion.
StageSoft WAVE can do this. set up your show/playback audio files and send midi commands to your lighting console (StageSoft also has a lighting program thats way easier to program than the ION.). if you have a digital console it can even control the faders.
WAVE Overview

Another PC Software suggestion.
StageSoft WAVE can do this. set up your show/playback audio files and send midi commands to your lighting console (StageSoft also has a lighting program thats way easier to program than the ION.). if you have a digital console it can even control the faders.
WAVE Overview

How is it way easier to program than the Ion? The Ion one of the easiest to program consoles I have ever used, is easy to learn, and quite powerful.

I absolutely agree that the Ion is a great console with lots features and if you are a full time lighting guy it is intuitive and easy to use, in fact i enjoy working on them. I work in an environment with lots of volunteers/newbies and for them the learning curve can be high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back