LIVE 5/2: Nom announcements for the Tony's

Jay Ashworth

NPR is/was doing live-update coverage of this morning's announcements of the nominees for the Antoinette Perry Awards for Excellence in Broadway Theatre, jointly run by the Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The broadcast will be June 11th on CBS and Paramount+.

Trivia: without looking it up, anybody know what ATW was a wing *of*?

NPR is/was doing live-update coverage of this morning's announcements of the nominees for the Antoinette Perry Awards for Excellence in Broadway Theatre, jointly run by the Broadway League and the American Theatre Wing:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The broadcast will be June 11th on CBS and Paramount+.

Trivia: without looking it up, anybody know what ATW was a wing *of*?

Isn't that the name for a troop or an association society that recognized/ promoted theatre back from world war II? Maybe female-specific?

Well, Since nobody else chimed in...
The "American Theatre Wing" was a 'wing' of, yes, the WWI Allied Relief Fund, about which, Wikipedia tells us:

"""
The American Theatre Wing (the Wing for short) is a New York City–based non-profit organization "dedicated to supporting excellence and education in theatre", according to its mission statement. Originally known as the Stage Women's War Relief during World War I, it later became a part of the World War II Allied Relief Fund under its current name. The ATW created and sponsors the Tony Awards in theatrical arts.
"""

And:

"""
Shortly after the beginning of World War II in 1939, Rachel Crothers reestablished the Stage Women's War Relief as a branch of the British War Relief Society in January 1940; this time adopting the name the American Theatre Wing (ATW).[5] The revived organization's first and founding members included Mary Antoinette "Toni" Perry, Josephine Hull, Gertrude Lawrence, Theresa Helburn, and Vera Allen; with Louise Heims Beck serving as the organization's first Vice President.
"""
Decent chance you might recognize one of those names...

The arts get a lot of support in NYC, why I loved it so and why it killed me to quit my job and hole up upstate NY. I go back 2x a month for personal and business reasons but, it's a hard place to work all your life and then walk away from, I now understand why elderly stay there until they die. We got a community theater. And an old movie house with a fully equipped stage with a full fly gallery built in the mid 1900's that has been closed more than 25 years. It's for sale but the owner is an estate and it's been in probate for as long as anyone can remember. (I tried to buy it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back