Control/Dimming LMX to Microplex issue please help...

joshriess

Hello and thank you for your time.. My church just bought a Lightronics 2448 Light console,with LMX and DMX.
Now I was told that LMX is Lightronics version of Micro-plex, and should work with my NSI 6000 plus 15 dimmer packs that are Micro-plex.
Well the new board came in and guess what ? It does not talk to the 6000+ packs .. now we have a $2000.00 board that does not work with the packs.
I called Don at lightronics and was told sometimes they work with NSI and sometimes they don't.
So my question is if anybody here has run into this problem before ? and if so what did you do to correct the issue.
Thanks again for your time . Looking forward to using this board and hearing any and all suggestions.
JOSH

If you want to keep the console then for only a few hundred dollars more you can purchase the NSI interface box that will convert DMX to MPX. At least then you could use any DMX console.

This is not the first time I have heard of a manufacturer claim compatibility with NSI MPX and then had troubles making it work right.

-MH

It is a bit odd that the LMX and Micro-plex don't get along as I've never had an issue. I just got done substituting a Lightronics TL4016 console for an NSI 7024 being serviced and it worked perfectly with the NSI rack-mount Micro-plex dimmers, but of course you have a different combination. I assume the "MPX" light on the dimmer packs is glowing green when you hook up the console and you've tried a different 3-pin XLR cable? Don has always been a great source of information so I trust what he says. Somewhere the timing must be off. Looks like the NSI IF501 interface with DMX to Micro-plex is the only solution. Be sure you get the correct model IF501 as there are several different versions.
Disclaimer: Lightronics dealer.

It is a bit odd that the LMX and Micro-plex don't get along as I've never had an issue. I just got done substituting a Lightronics TL4016 console for an NSI 7024 being serviced and it worked perfectly with the NSI rack-mount Micro-plex dimmers, but of course you have a different combination. I assume the "MPX" light on the dimmer packs is glowing green when you hook up the console and you've tried a different 3-pin XLR cable? Don has always been a great source of information so I trust what he says. Somewhere the timing must be off. Looks like the NSI IF501 interface with DMX to Micro-plex is the only solution. Be sure you get the correct model IF501 as there are several different versions.
Disclaimer: Lightronics dealer.
Thanks microstar I got the i/f 501 interface unit and im a bit confused about the settings going to run dmx to interface then microplex out to dimmer pack it has different jumper configurations am i supposed to take the unit apart and change the jumpers internally? or just use the dip switches on the front?

Here are a few tips on using NSI IF501:

Both DIP switches and jumper settings should match the manual for the specific configuration. In your case, DMX -> MPX, it shows P4 and P5 jumpers should be moved from the default settings. Closing P4 and P5 jumpers set the 5-pin XLR female as a pass-thru so if you are not using it you shouldn't need to adjust them. DIP switch #2 on the Config should be set. If you have dimmers addressed above 64 then DIP switch #8 on the Address should be set.

The MPX output is only on the 3-pin XLR female. The interface usually works fine getting power from the MPX XLR but for a long distance you might want to include the wallwort.

If you hot-patch DMX while the interface is powered, you will likely get the red error light. This is because it gets a DMX packet mid-stream. The error light might clear itself but to avoid it, make all connections, power-on the interface, and then power-on the console. If the stat light is on then everything should be communicating properly.

-MH

Good Morning

it's been a long time since I've been inside the NSI 6000 but I recall it is an added chip and the rear XLR connector swap to convert it to DMX.
the conversion kit may still be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back