Logic pro 9 noob with yamaha audiogram 3 sounds like a bucket over singers

bignate

hey guys so ive been recording with audacity for the last 3 years in our church services with occaisonal problems of the crash but i got by. well recently I started alot of problems with it crashing over longer periods and this christmas i lost a entire one time only live christmas performance so i decided that since most of the music i was putting on ipods and iphones and ive always heard mac was so great i bought a ently used mac off a friend that used it for recording he included Logic pro 9 and mainstage plus alot of different loops and sound bytes.
when i recorded with audacity on my windows the sound was pretty good i didnt have to change anything. every once in a while i had a bad clip but no sound issues.
i hooked up the audiogram the other night to the Macbook and recorded a short practice session. the instruments sounded okay but the vocals all sounded like they where in a bucket real echoey and tinny almost. like i said noob to MAC and to logic so what do i need to adjust?
also on the audiogram box i just have the rca jacks coming into the back for a input. That comes out of our yamaha EMX512 systems REC OUT rca jack so i think ive included all the info you might need. let me know if you have any thoughts thanks guys.

No settings changed on the console? Are any eqs or effects enabled within the software?
I have used audacity on the pc for years, never once had a problem when recording, although I have crashe a few times when editing large files. Granted, I have a dedicated machine for media use and keep programs updated and the computer itself clean of useless files. I have noticed that audacity will crash when system memory runs low, perhaps you were running to many other programs in the background. Any computer use for media work, whether it is Mac or pc, should be kept clean of unnecessary files and programs to maximize performance.
As for the statement that most of your music ends up on apple devices so you thought you should use a Mac... the end device that the files are used on has nothing to do with what the device are recorded on. Exporting as WAV on a Mac isint magically better than exporting as WAV on a pc.
Also buying a Mac won't magically solve all of your recording problems, they are plagued by the exact same issues that pcs have. All that marketing about macs being sooo much better at media stuff and pcs do nothing but BSOD is just that- marketing! I don't want to open a whole Mac/pc debate here but just some things to think about.

Last edited:
no settings changed the only thing i have changed it the output volume on the audiogram my one vocalist would usuaully make audacity clip with the volume at about 4 so i couldnt turn it up any higher. on the MAC with logic ive been able to turn it up just one notch short of full volume.
I do not know what settings to look at on the logic program i looked at effects and didnt see anything turned on but like i said im a noob to logic. ive messed with fruity loops and audacity on my pc thats about it

i hooked up the audiogram the other night to the Macbook and recorded a short practice session. the instruments sounded okay but the vocals all sounded like they where in a bucket real echoey and tinny almost. like i said noob to MAC and to logic so what do i need to adjust?
also on the audiogram box i just have the rca jacks coming into the back for a input. That comes out of our yamaha EMX512 systems REC OUT rca jack so i think ive included all the info you might need. let me know if you have any thoughts thanks guys.
I believe the REC OUT on the EMX512 is simply the main left and right output signals before the internal equalizer and main output level controls so unless you are running vocals on one channel and instruments on the other then anything happening after the REC OUT would seem to affect vocals and instruments the same. Any chance any of the compresor settings or the effects send or effects return settings on the Yamaha may have been changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back