Long distance audio feed - Graduation

Anything that involves a network will be slow. Nick, how are you proposing to get ethernet to the football field? Given we've previously noted budget concerns, I would figure fibre of budget and you'll have problems with the 100m limit on copper...

Some of the better audio over ethernet protocols give reasonably good audio quality. Anything designed for VoIP or Teleconferencing does not fall within those definitions.

I also don't see why one would involve the internet by using NetMeeting etc when you don't need to. Also not sure whether people would face permissions issues in a typical school environment?

Agreed an iso transformer is useful in an analog line. Not agreed that there should be a time when there is a dangerous ground difference. A ground difference should only be occurring where you have HV causing Earth potential rise or a dodgy electrical installation. All should be looked at by a qualified party. Yes a couple of volts perhaps causing ground loops but enough to be dangerous indicates a broader issue.

Re telephone - Down here it leaves the exchange at 48v. If your green boxes are anything like ours, then they are normally a mega patch frame to merge the street cables of dozens of pairs onto the backbone to the exchange with hundreds or more pairs...

NetMeeting is simply a network chat client that does audio too, it doesn't acess the internet, hence why I sugested it. Cat5 is cheap, and it will run a fair way from wherever you plug it in, probably enough to atleast run to your mixer/speakers. And I'm sure there is some better software out there to do it.

As for getting permiton, as you are not acessing the outside world (internet) I doubt they would put up to much fuss.

Just some ideas,
Nick

Well, with the suggestion of ethernet, I would guess if it were already in the vicinity of the field (we have ethernet in the press box at the back of the bleachers), it would be taken out of any switches or what not and then have some sort of adapter to change it back to something useful whether it be XLR or 1/4" TRS. Rather than running new cable all that distance, use your current infrastructure.

Oh good thinking! Like a Balun is used for video. Could work, like this I just found while Googling!
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back