Long time lurking, but a fast approaching tech week has me nervous.

akeyata

Hello!

I've been doing theatre in one capacity or another for nearly 30 years, but for the last about 6 of them it's been mostly administrative and scenic design. I can't seem to get away from either one, and I love them both desperately.

So my current project is Sarah Ruhls' 'Eurydice', which is for a local college, and I've got all sorts of absolutely fantastic and exciting things (as you'd expect for that play), like elevators and curvy ramps and pools of water and string houses and Edison bulbs and blocks and what have you. But my main theme for the design is pipes-rusty, drippy pipes everywhere. I have various pipe-type things that I was able to pull from the college's storage, pvc, some sono-tube, some heavy iron pipe, etc. And I'm going to paint it all to be awesome and gooey, but I'm wondering if you could give me some advice on the best way to hang/install said pipes in front of my backdrop?

My first instinct is to put rope inside the pipes and string it up and out and tie it off, supporting it up in the rails and offstage, but the TD isn't sure that's the best way to do it, though he has no alternatives to offer me. Any ideas?

I'm not familiar with this show, but from your description I'd try and build a structure to support the pipes while giving the illusion that it's a maze of industrial conduit/plumbing. Running line through the pipes and suspending them horizontally will introduce a lot of sag depending on the length of the span, plus there are other considerations regarding the proper rope to use and methods of tying off. PVC isn't too heavy depending thickness and diameter, but galvanized and sonotube can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back