Looking for a decent (but cheap) comm system

Zahzi

Currently I am in a small high school theater, and we are using cheap walkie-talkies and headsets from radio shack (cheapest crap we could find). The problem is that it is hard to understand people during a show when we have to talk quietly, plenty of static, and just bad quality. We are trying to upgrade to something that is clear, but still within our budget (We can spend about 1k on the comm system).

We need at least two wireless sets for the stage managers, and 3-4 more for the booth (this can be wired).

Thanks!

For wired I would go with either Clear-Com or RTS analog partyline. Technology hasn't changed much since the 70's, and you should be able to find used gear pretty easily. Clear-com's current Encore 700 series belt packs are good but still pretty new, their previous 600 series isn't too popular as the boxes tended to break, but the older still 500 series and older are still popular. I volunteer in a theatre still using 2nd generation Clear-Com boxes from the 1980s and they still work fine. All you need is a power supply, beltpacks (most likely 1-channel versions), and twisted pair cable tying them all together.

For wireless, cheaper systems may work but it depends on the specifics of your venue. If you have a wireless base station that's within 50' of the users and clear line-of-sight at all times, then a cheaper wireless intercom unit may work. If you're in a larger space with massive concrete walls, and your wireless crew need to run around and talk everywhere in the theater, then you may be better off waiting for more funding to Clear-Com Tempest or similar. In general, intercom is the one system in the theatre that must work when anything else fails. Test whatever wireless system you opt for in your venue and all locations, and money spent on an unreliable wireless intercom system is wasted IMHO, since dropouts are never acceptable during a show. A wired beltpack with an extra long XLR cable can sometimes work better than a flaky wireless beltpack. If needed, Clear-Com's TW-47 can interface 2-way radios into a wired intercom system.

Last edited:
Our space uses a clearcom analog partyline for the consoles and asm's, and a Telex B/TR-300 Wireless system for ATD(s) and those who have to move around during the show. If you're gonna go wireless, its more of a question of what your space is made of. In our case, our the area around our auditorium is built almost entirely out of concrete and cinderblock, which sucks if you have someone out in the lobby running a pre-show or intermission, and all you get is static. 2-Way radios are a decent option if you don't mind half-duplex (one person talks at a time) and squelch drops (the click or noise at the end of a transmission) during the show. And with two-way radios you can get decent range, however, you have the possibility of receiving outside interference, as those radios run on shared channels... I would recommend a dedicated production intercom system (wired or wireless) if you can get the funding for it. Otherwise, two-way radios are probably your next best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back