Looking for a fabric

MarshallPope

Hey all,
I am currently designing (and scenic charge-ing) a show and have hit a bit of a snag -
I need to find a fabric that will take paint well but will also compress into a relatively small compartment.

It will be an 8' wide drop (7'6" tall) that will need to track neatly in and out of a 3" slit to hide inside an ideally 4" deep by 1' wide pilaster.

Luckily, I can get away with a light, watercolor-y paint treatment that wouldn't add too much stiffness, especially if I can find a fabric stable enough to not require sizing. I'm also worried about longevity, as this is for a touring production, which is why I'm hesitant to use a poly silk or the like.

In addition, I'd appreciate any thoughts re: technique - spray gun, airbrush, just diluted and brushed on, etc. I've only ever painted typical muslin drops before.

Thanks in advance for any input!
-Marshall

would it be possible to design digitally (or scan it into a computer) and order this on a roll up convention center type pop-up sign that you would mount horizontally? Then you'd get your whole thing rolled up nice and can specify poly or matte vinyl or something.

Real silk painted with dye will work well but i don't understand the hesitation to use Poly silk. You can dye it as well or print on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back