looking for advice on building a rotating tree, actor inside

Hi -- I could really use some guidance for designing and building a "tree" in which someone can stand. The tree needs to rotate so that the other side reveals the Evil Queen's "Magic Mirror" and the previously hidden actor. I'd appreciate advice. I'm brand new to this very awesome website. Oh, and I have only a small black box theatre in a small rural school, with an 8' clearance centre stage where we want the "tree" to be. -- Elizabeth

I once built 6 or so rolling 3-d trees for a production of shrek. Each tree was basically 6 plywood cutouts that each resembled half a 2-d tree. They were mounted with pipe hangers on a vertical pipe in the middle of castered circular platform, and each of the tree parts were able to move freely around the pipe, and on many occasions actors hid inside them. I feel like you could adapt this for your purposes.

Picture of the two larger trees:
proxy.php

https://imgur.com/U30gnA5

Hi -- I could really use some guidance for designing and building a "tree" in which someone can stand. The tree needs to rotate so that the other side reveals the Evil Queen's "Magic Mirror" and the previously hidden actor. I'd appreciate advice. I'm brand new to this very awesome website. Oh, and I have only a small black box theatre in a small rural school, with an 8' clearance centre stage where we want the "tree" to be. -- Elizabeth
For the rotating part of the tree I will suggest you think of it as a revolving stage, albeit hidden in the base. Use the search box and member "VAN" has post on "stage revolve".

With the fixed wheel up and a center pivot on a 36" plywood disk placed on the stage floor. Put a second disk ( 2 layers 3/4 glued together) on top Of the inverted wheels.

I use a trailer hub and spindle for the piviot. The spindle has a four bolt plate you attach to the base and the hub will attach to the top disk. Harbor freight about $150.

Now that all is rotating smoothly with about four people standing on it your ready to start building your tree. Cut another disk like a doughnut shape, about 30" outside, 24" inside hole. This (rib) will be about 48" to 60" off the floor. The top disk will be about 24" positioned at the top. Connect the out sides using 1×3 8 ft long from 3/4 off the floor (hide wheels] to the top disk. Glue and nail to the disks.

I hope your following me. If so, don't cut the "tree" disks perfectly round as no tree is round. Adjust all sizes to fit your design and shape. Also after the glue is Dry, cut the opening in the side of the tree that the hidden person will be. it's ok to cut right through the middle doughnut disk as the glue will hold it there.

add odd bump outs or branched, not too tipsy.
Take large garbage can pour in about 5 gallons beige and brown left over paint. Take the old bed sheets you had donated from the local hotel and dip into the paint. Wring out excess paint, then staple to the wood frame adding wrinkles like tree bark. Remember to add hand holds so someone hidden behind true can rotate it.

When dry, the sheets will be fairly durable. Use pump sprayer or other methods to add shading. Inside of tree that is seen can be brown paper if you want.

Hope this makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back