Looking for firewire mixer for senior project

techfreek

Hello all,
I am currently in the process of starting my senior project (we can work on it on the summer before our senior year) and most of my project deals with recording in a home studio some various bands. (Will probably range from guitar and singer to full blown band [all recorded individually due to space constraints]) I am currently looking for a sound board.

I had found the [URL='http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LEDVD2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BJF2WD59KQTXPGB00P8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]Phonic Helix Board 18 Universal[/URL]. But after reading a couple unfavorable reviews, I am having second thoughts. I am wondering on your thoughts on that board, as well as a different board.
I will want to have at least 5 XLR inputs
I will also need to have firewire outputs (recording straight to laptop)
I have a budget of at absolute max $1000, which includes the price for any DAW software I need (the phonic that I was looking at already had software included)

Thank you for your help!

Why do you need a mixer? I'd look for something more like the Alesis MasterControl with an 8-mic preamp such as any of the PreSonus units. That gives you control of your DAW as well as a dedicated set of decent preamps. That's more how recording is done.

If you are looking for a mixer to double as a recording interface, the Mackie Onyx 1620i might be something to look at - as might the Yamaha N12 or the Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0.

I've used the Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0, and it's not a half bad product for home studio audio interface and mixer combined. But you have no flying fader control for your DAW, and that can be very useful, which is why I suggested the MasterControl and the 8-mic preamp unit.

Why do you need a mixer? I'd look for something more like the Alesis MasterControl with an 8-mic preamp such as any of the PreSonus units. That gives you control of your DAW as well as a dedicated set of decent preamps. That's more how recording is done.

I had not seen the Mastercontrol before, I do agree that it looks like a smarter path to go. I think the reason I was looking at a mixer to double as a recording interface was so I could use it for live applications too. But I have come to realize that (atleast the Phonic) had only a L and R out... not always the best for live.

And for the pre-amp, I am currently looking at them trying to get a sense for which is best for my budget (managed to find a Mastercontrol for about $600, so that leaves about 3-400 for the firewire recording interface.)

Note also that the MasterControl has ADAT in, so you can use an ADAT preamp and use the FireWire from the MasterControl to get to the computer. If you just get a PreSonus DigiMax D8, you can put that in to the ADAT connection of the MasterControl and have that be the only interface to the computer. The DigiMax D8 also has nice meters for checking signal levels, whereas you will not have metering for those ADAT inputs onboard the MasterControl.

So my recommendation would be Alesis MasterControl and PreSonus DigiMax D8.

Thank you! I will be sure to mention this to my mentor before I purchase anything, I think this would be a much better set up than before!

If you need a DAW that will work with anything, check out Reaper. If it is for personal use or a business that makes less than 20k a year it is only $60 that includes updates through version 4.99 (currently out is version 3.) Plus, you can try it for 30 day, fully functional.
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

SWEET! Well, sadly my project was not approved... they said I needed to have like what classes I needed to attend, who I need to interview, etc just busy work, and they won't let me revise. So in fall, I will get it approved (they want more detail if you start over summer) and I will be sure to look at this then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back