Louver Shutter Shape

Ech725

I'm working on making some operable shutters for a production that are 4' L x 6" W x 3/4" Thick. I'm curious if anyone has had to produce the elliptical shape. I've read that a planer and a jig can make it happen, but I don't have one. Any ideas?

if you need them to be 3/4 thick couldn't you just buy 1x6 or 1x7 and cut them to 4' long? 1x6 would be a little short on the width but if you got the 1x7 or 8 and rip it to the 6" you need? Shutters themselves aren't terribly difficult to make, the operable aspect makes it a little more difficult but you can find some tutorials online for the movement.

if you need them to be 3/4 thick couldn't you just buy 1x6 or 1x7 and cut them to 4' long? 1x6 would be a little short on the width but if you got the 1x7 or 8 and rip it to the 6" you need? Shutters themselves aren't terribly difficult to make, the operable aspect makes it a little more difficult but you can find some tutorials online for the movement.

The designer changed his mind to beveled edges. Way easier. I'm still curious on getting the shape though.

The ellipse is no problem. All you have to do is lay it on a bench and experiment with the right radius but all it is is an arc segment of a circle bigger than your shutter. The flatter the arc the bigger circle you need. I was a building contractor for many years and reproducing old porches required me to do arcs on 8 ft spreads. Doing the same on a 6in shutter should be cake. Cutting it out could be done with a jigsaw, scrollsaw and with a little work a router and a jig.

Tilt bar for shutters

Ok so I've been working on these HUGE shutters (4' x 16'). 8' have to be operable. I've managed to assemble the beast. Now I'm having trouble with the tilt bar. I've tried attaching a wooden tilt bar while the shutters were open by interlocking staples.(Attaching staples to the tilt bar and then attaching it to the shutters) It did not work work because the staples kept pulling out. I then tried attaching rope to the shutters in multiple positions. (closed & open) I can't seem to get the spacing correct so that they shut completely. Any suggestions on installing a tilt bar?

Re: Tilt bar for shutters

How about a piece of aluminum channel about 1/2" on a side. Drill holes at the right distance apart and put screws through them into your louvers. Leave the screws loose enough to pivot.

Re: Tilt bar for shutters

Double cup hooks that you can close to keep them from seperating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back