Mixers/Consoles M7 Foot switch

On our last show we rented a Digi-design console to mix the show. It was so fast paced that our supervisor told us about plugging in a foot switch and it will take next cue. It worked wonders for our mixer and she could keep her hands on the VCA's. I am mixing my first show at the start of this season on a M7CL. I have worked on it some but would also like to have a foot switch. The less places I have to move my hands to the better. I saw a remote input on the back and looked it up in the manual. It said something about linking with a something-something. Is there a way to wire in a simple foot switch to take next scene.

A simple foot switch, no. The "Remote" port is control data for external head amps. (polarity, gain, 48v) Classically you use it with a Yamaha AD8HR, but I know techs that have gotten it to work with a couple other external pres. If you are set on using a foot switch, you'll have to do some digging around with MIDI programming I believe, but I'm not an expert there. Hopefully someone else will have a setup.

As for a solution, UDK 9 is your friend. The show I just ran had to bounce back and forth from lav based dialog to handheld rock numbers on a single cue. Having my "GO" button so close on the console was great. Program UDK 9 to "INC Recall" and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
I'm not completely familiar with the midi functions of the M7CL, but you could probably use a midi footswitch to send the "next scene" command to the console.

Yes, you can setup the M7 to respond to midi data through its midi input. This means you could either buy a midi foot switch or for more flexibility buy something that can convert a foot switch (or any contact closure) to midi signals. I have heard good things about the Midi Solutions foot switch converter (MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller; General Purpose Input to MIDI). This way you could plug in any foot switch or wire up any button you want.

Also keep in mind you can trigger midi from a computer with a midi interface, for example if you are already running a Qlab, SFX of similar rig you could write cues to change scene.

Finally Qlab and SFX can also use a midi input to fire cues. A setup I come across regularly is a foot switch or button sending midi data to Qlab/SFX. The computer then fires cues and sends midi program changes to the console so that it can change scene. That way one cue list and button controls the entire system.

Hey Batman,
it's long past, I'm sure you figured something out.

The MOTU audio interface the theater and PAC own has a footswitch input that can be programmed. We used it for ACC to trigger cues. Just be sure to set up the "Double GO protection" in case the footswitch doesn't have the best contacts on it. That is in the QLab pref's. There were a couple footswitches over at BlackGold that can be used.

Then Qlab can be triggered to send out MIDI changes to the M7CL, much like you did for the audio computer to trigger the video computer in the Beauty Plays.

Cheers,
BC

On our last show we rented a Digi-design console to mix the show. It was so fast paced that our supervisor told us about plugging in a foot switch and it will take next cue. It worked wonders for our mixer and she could keep her hands on the VCA's. I am mixing my first show at the start of this season on a M7CL. I have worked on it some but would also like to have a foot switch. The less places I have to move my hands to the better. I saw a remote input on the back and looked it up in the manual. It said something about linking with a something-something. Is there a way to wire in a simple foot switch to take next scene.

As for a solution, UDK 9 is your friend. The show I just ran had to bounce back and forth from lav based dialog to handheld rock numbers on a single cue. Having my "GO" button so close on the console was great. Program UDK 9 to "INC Recall" and you should be good to go.

Using the UDK is what I would recommended. I am currently running about 230 scenes in a 75 minute production, all advanced at the UDK. Piece of cake, no problems whatsoever.

Truthfully though, is you can't spare your hands long enough to advance the scene, you probably have issues somewhere else in the system/show/talent/etc.
T

While midi firing is an option (made fairly simple through something like QLab or any other midi solution) - why not just program each scene into one of the User Defined Keys on the M7?

It's significantly simpler (Page in the Setup until you hit User Defined Key, and then on 1's menu just hit "Previous Scene" and on 2's menu hit "Next Scene") than setting up a midi foot pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back