Making a 3D fir tree

Hello All,

I'm needing some advice on building 15' tall 3D fir trees. My designer has requested a forest scene with about 6 trees upstage of the rest of the set. I'm not worried about making the trunk as that can be a pretty standard process but am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to make realistic fir tree branches without buying 200 artificial Christmas trees. Has anyone had any experience with building these types of trees with the needle branches? Thanks.

You might be able to use garland rather than artificial tree branches. Seems if you need realism on the level of individual needles, there's no way to make it cheap and easy. At least I haven't thought of one.

garland is the way to go. just build a wire frame or a small circle at the top, mid top, mid, mid bot, and bot wrap it in chicken wire and goto town with green garland. You could also build it like a xmas tree with garland as well foam trunk and secure a rod or dole around it getting bigger and bigger as you get the the bottom of the tree to have a fan look.

Hanger wire or Bailing wire or Bonsai wire, floral tape brown and green, electrical tape and miles of garland. Lots of patience.
build the armatures out of the wire, Bind the garland to the armature with floral tape. wrap the 'stems' in brown floral tape.
You can also buy pre-cut floral wire which is about #24 and is green. you can use that to bind the garland to branches as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back