Meanwhile, in Japan

we now have two threads on a similar theme one on moving lights and one on conventional lights. Speaking as an engineer who has managed the intellectual property portfolio for a high technology design company I should mention a number of points:

1) it is more difficult than is generally appreciated to get a patent on design features because it is difficult to develop something that is truely unique and many patents have to go to great lengths to exclude the prior art that exists in other patents making the patent very narrow which is why it is often very difficult to enforce a patent even in the U.S. which has the broadest patent laws of any western country.

2) when it comes to electronics etc. the component manufacturers publish many application notes on how to use their products including application schematics. The use of stepper motors and servo motors and the design of their controllers is not difficult today, just look at the High School Robot competitions and read the "Robot Builder's Bonanza" or some of the many websites on this topic - this is the basis of a moving light.
3) all companies face the challange of continued inovation - you have to keep doing this or you cease to be in bsiness.

4) Sometimes the reasons products look the same is dictated by manufacturing technolgy cars have become very similar because of the increasing demands of aerodynamics to meet fuel economy numbers.

By the way how many of you buy only genuine ford, GM or Chrysler parts from the dealer for your cars? Regardless of the fact that none of the manufacturers make the parts and buy them from the same companies who often supply the aftermarket with better parts than are installed by the manufacturer. None of this is simple and is a constant challange for the management and staff of successful companies. Innovate or cease to exist is the reality of biusiness.

I was over in China last summer and noticed that all of the soda cans were identical to the ones found in the US back in the 80's (small mouth, large diameter tops, thicker aluminum. Some even still had pull-tabs.) It was explained to me that Chinese companies bought the old molds and tooling from outdated coke+pepsi cans instead of designing their own.

Where am I going with this?

Source 4 PAR lookalikes. I think ETC is on the 4th or 5th revision of tooling for the cast aluminum pieces of the Source 4 PAR. What happened to the old molds/tooling? You guessed it - someone else got their hands on it. They straight up bought it, or made a mold of the mold. After some small modifications like scraping off ETC markings, BAM you have a mold for your new LED PAR that looks like a S4 PAR.

Is it legal? Depends if ETC got trademark status of the the S4 PAR's "likeness", which I don't think they did. (That's a hard and expensive process, Harley spent millions over 6 years attempting to trademark the sound of their V-Twin engine and failed.)

Is it legal? Depends if ETC got trademark status of the the S4 PAR's "likeness", which I don't think they did. (That's a hard and expensive process, Harley spent millions over 6 years attempting to trademark the sound of their V-Twin engine and failed.)

Look, when push comes to shove, a lot of this stuff isn't illegal but it is slimy. Elation makes some good stuff and I would be happy to rent or purchase a lot of their products but the fact that they blatantly clone the design of the S4 PAR in many of their LEDs labels them to me as a company which doesn't have enough confidence in their own branding and reputation. I would rather buy products from a company that is secure enough in it's own rep to feel like it doesn't need to evoke someone else's. ETC should be flattered and Elation, which makes some worthy products and is probably beginning to go through what Martin went through back in the days should man up and move towards their own image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back