MegaLite Q70 vs. Rosco Micro Cube

Expldikus

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

The company that I work for is currently starting construction on a 3/4 thrust stage. The grid height will be approx. 11' above the playing area. Main playing space is roughly 20' x 20'. We are still refining our lighting package for the space. Our downlight and backlight washes will be achieved by LED fixtures, since scrollers in such a low space would be stupid loud.

We're looking at the MegaLite Q70 or the Rosco Micro Cube 4C. Anyone have any experience with either or both fixtures or prevailing preferences or gripes?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm considering the Mega Q70's for a small low-ceiling theatre space as well, so will be watching this thread with interest. May be forced to just buy one for testing if no one has any experience with one. I have used the Blizzard ProPar 74 in some slightly larger church installs with very good results, both the stock fixture and some ordered with 40 degree lenses. I think I would just use Elation LSF (light shaping filter) to change the spread and have more flexibility next time. Although a bit of a hassle as there are no gel holders on the ProPar 74. That's a good point in the Q70's favor..... the spread lens being included with the fixture.

Last edited:
Well,
The big difference is that 1 carries ETL listing and 1 does not.
Personally, I would go with the Rosco Miro cube. Customer support won't be an issue, and it likely won't burn down your venue.
(In jest, before the pitchforks come out)

I have seen the micro cube at trade shows. Some things I like:
I can get a spread of up to 60 degrees. It has 16 bit dimming and a fairly smooth curve. There is an optional frame for accessories. This means you can put something like a barm door or hexcell to cut spill.

Downsides there is a fan ( not surprising for such a small unit )

If your grid is really 3 feet above your actors head, you will want a wide lens.

In any event I would STRONGLY advise you to get a unit from each manufacturer for evaluation. Is the fan noise going to be a problem in your space? What the dimming curve like? What's the beam spread like?

Thanks! We took a look at the Q70 in person (with the resident LD). We'll have to get our mitts on a cube and see what we think. Anybody have any experience with MegaLite from a customer/technical service standpoint?

Hi.. I'm an engineer for Black Tank, the company that developed the Miro cube. Jack Burwick is the Rosco Product Manager for LED Systems ([email protected]). He'd be able to help if you end up having trouble getting a 4C to evaluate. In the meantime, if there's anything technical I can help you with, let me know.
Doug Johnson/BlackTank engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back