Mini Controller

RickR

Looking for the ideal little console - easy cheap and powerful. Yeah me and everyone else...

The application is high school students running a small portable setup for talent shows, dances, jazz band events and whatever quick events not in the theater. The catch is 8-12 LEDs, quite likely to be complex color, RGBAW or X7. They will need some color presets and a few effects. I'm hoping for a truly simple and intuitive system without all the clutter of a serious console. Also really small and portable is high on the wish list.

Candidates I'm aware of:
  • Luminaire: (needs iPad, wifi and gateway) tempting but potentially too complex in setup, but WiFi and touchscreen are big plus
  • Pathway Cognito: Nice compact and powerful, pricey
  • Jands StageCL: like above - most expensive option
  • ETC SmartFadeML: Not as small or as simple but there is a lot to be said for going ETC.
  • various PC programs with DMX dongle: Most seem more complicated than needed and is often buggy from not having enough users.
  • Compulite Vibe: Announced today, anybody know anything?
What am I missing?

Looking for the ideal little console - easy cheap and powerful. Yeah me and everyone else...

The application is high school students running a small portable setup for talent shows, dances, jazz band events and whatever quick events not in the theater. The catch is 8-12 LEDs, quite likely to be complex color, RGBAW or X7. They will need some color presets and a few effects. I'm hoping for a truly simple and intuitive system without all the clutter of a serious console. Also really small and portable is high on the wish list.

Candidates I'm aware of:
  • Luminaire: (needs iPad, wifi and gateway) tempting but potentially too complex in setup, but WiFi and touchscreen are big plus
  • ETC SmartFadeML: Not as small or as simple but there is a lot to be said for going ETC.
  • various PC programs with DMX dongle: Most seem more complicated than needed and is often buggy from not having enough users.
What am I missing?

Just remember the smartfade has it's own OS, and learning it won't transfer to ION, EOS, etc. I haven't used luminaire, but I have all the necessary hardware, and use some different apps. The hardware isn't all that complicated to setup, it can be frustrating to get it setup right but it doesn't take that long. And once you have all the settings right you shouldn't have to ever touch them again. Another good thing is you can then use the iPad as a focus remote in your main space when not using the portable setup.

Minor edit: I just discovered the Jands StageCL selling for well under $2000, that's half the Cognito and less than the Smartfade. I could have sworn it was $5000 :)

Thx techieman33, but none of these have similar comands or syntax.

Candidates I'm aware of:
What am I missing?

Hey man,
You can check the Compulite's new desk.
The name is Vibe.
You can check out this link:
http://www.compulite.com/index.php?page_id=513
or this one:
http://www.compulite.com/index.php?page_id=514

Cheers!

Candidates I'm aware of:
What am I missing?
BTW, any question you have you can contact:
[email protected]
or
[email protected]

Aviv.

I was just helping a client out with a Luminaire system. They seem to be very reliant on the wifi signal being strong and constant. I ran into all sorts of problems with a weak wifi signal. Take that into account if you're looking in that direction, and get a good router.

The Compulite Vibe looks interesting. I like that they have re-imagined the console as primarily a 10-touch screen interface. With a 24" touchscreen, it might not fit the small and portable requirement, but I'd consider it as a powerful console based on touch interface.

In your list I only have experience with Luminair. I use it all the time and love it. The latest version of the software has some nice improvements. I think it would be reasonable to consider if all the students had their own iPads and you could get an education discount on Luminair. Then the school just buys an art-net node and a dedicated Airport Express. Otherwise, you are better off buying something professional that translates into what they might find after graduation.

If all the tech students have their own computer, you might consider Chamsys MagicQ. For about a grand you can get the mini PC wing which has ten playback faders and enables full software functionality. Students could learn the rather complicated software and program shows with the visualizer off line as an assignment.

All good options: console, iPad, PC. A dedicated console seems most appropriate for an educational program. On the other hand, if the students end up with software on their portable device, they can take it with them and use it outside school. Beats the hell out of the two-scene preset board with a physical plug patch panel that I learned in the 70s! Actually, that was the best educational device! Set the next scene on the console, patch the correct lights into the correct dimmers, wait for the cue and cross fade. Repeat until curtain call.

The Compulite Vibe looks interesting. I like that they have re-imagined the console as primarily a 10-touch screen interface. With a 24" touchscreen, it might not fit the small and portable requirement, but I'd consider it as a powerful console based on touch interface....

At 43 pounds, I would not consider it small and portable either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back