Mini XLR to Standard XLR

djred2000

I volunteer at a local community theatre and we have an AKG WMS450 wireless mic system. The show we are working on has the talent singing into microphones on stands. The director does not want cables running across the stage so I am looking into using a standard XLR to Mini XLR cable to plug SM58s into the bodypack transmitters and mounting them at the bottom of the mic stands. We don't have any handheld wireless mics with our system and it is cost prohibitive for us to purchase them. I checked the AKG manual and it looks like the pinouts for the mini-XLR match the pinouts of standard XLR cables. Has anyone done this before? Will it work?

Most wireless manufacturers have a version of this cable you are looking for in their optional accessories area, have you checked there yet? If you do not have a budget making your own is a viable option.

This is always a tricky question because every belt pack is different. Wiring the cable wrong may damage the microphone by applying DC current to the coil. I looked up the service manual for this model and believe the following to be accurate. This will only work with dynamic microphones:

Mic pin 1 to pack pin 1 (cable shield)
Mic pin 2 to pack pin 2
Mic pin 3 to Mic pin 1
Pack pin 3 no connection

Before you plug in a mic, plug the cable into the pack, turn on the pack and check for DC voltage between mic pins 1 and 2. There must be no DC voltage. Also note that the placement of pins 2 and 3 are reversed on a mini XLR, when compared to a standard XLR.

I ordered a couple of these to try: 6ft 3-Pin XLR Male to 3-Pin Mini XLR Female Microphone Cable - PI Manufacturing Corp. I'll check for voltage when I get them and rewire the standard XLR end if necessary.

I am sure that you will have to rewire the mic end. Check for voltage on both pins 2 and 3 (referenced to pin 1). Disconnect and insulate whichever wire has voltage on it, then ground that connector pin to pin 1. It doesn't matter whether the remaining audio wire is connected to pin 2 or pin 3. The good news is that soldering on the standard XLR is quite easy.

I received the cables and the good news is the pins are wired correctly on each end. Pin 2 to pin 2 etc. The bad news is I get about 5 volts from the beltpack on pin 3 grounding to pin 1. So if I understand correctly, I should disconnect the wire to Pin3 on the standard XLR end and it won't be used. Then connect a jumper wire from pin 3 to pin 1. Pin 2 will remain untouched since it will be carrying the audio signal.

I received the cables and the good news is the pins are wired correctly on each end. Pin 2 to pin 2 etc. The bad news is I get about 5 volts from the beltpack on pin 3 grounding to pin 1. So if I understand correctly, I should disconnect the wire to Pin3 on the standard XLR end and it won't be used. Then connect a jumper wire from pin 3 to pin 1. Pin 2 will remain untouched since it will be carrying the audio signal.

Yes, exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back