Mixed Reality Theatre (Magic of Interactive, Location-Based, Scenic Design)

tjrogers

Hello All! Well, I am a graduate student at Purdue University (my undergrad was at the University of Washington School of Drama, 1998). I am interested in the theatre of the future and I believe mixed reality (augmented reality, mirror/parallel worlds, etc) will be a major direction towards that goal.

When projecting about "the theatre of the future" in 1970, Jo Mielziner said there were two paths... a theatre that re-ified theatre of the past and theatre interested in innovation. I'm all about the latter, but also take his advice to ground innovation in the theatre in the lessons and techniques used in the past.

The innovation in theatre I am interested in has lots of access to internet bandwidth (including access points for all audience members if they want it), cameras, projectors, mirrors, location-based services/multimedia, motion capture devices, and operate on a global time schedule. A nightmare to traditionalists who will probably have nothing but flames for such an unconventional environment, but hey, big risks, big payoffs...no? And really, what do I have to lose?

Looking forward,

tjr
http://www.google.com/profiles/tjrogers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back