Motorized Cyc Flyout

Esoteric

Hey guys, so I have a 128'x20' horseshoe cyc in a room with 3 41'x20' walls (the 4th wall will remain blank).

My clients want a solution to get rid of the cyc with the minimal (no) manual labor.

Any ideas?

Are they OK with furling horizontally? You could install some curved track and furl the cyc horizontally. It is possible to motorize it but you would need top and bottom track to tension it if you wanted absolutely no manual labour. Otherwise you're looking at some effort to weight the pipe pocket and clip or lock in one side.

Here's a link to an e-Rail system. I believe Rose Brand is the distributor for the US market.

Triple E -

Yeah, they would prefer to go up, but they don't mind it going horizontally. They just want 0 manual labor (not even removing pipe). I had worked in a space with the e-Rail (or something like it) before, I just couldn't remember the name. Thanks.

I think they would still prefer it to go up, but I think that solution would work.

Thanks for the link!

Call the guys at Texas Scenic TSC - Theatrical Stage Equipment Great guys, top of the line. They'll help you to design and engineer the system you need, whether vertical or horizontal. Once designed they will manufacture it in their shop, right there in the heart of Texas. No shipping from one coast or the other! If you talk to Roy Harline, tell him I sent you.

If you've been following the thread
icon1.gif
New School ,
Tex
user-online.png
can give you a good idea of how they work as they are doing a lot of the stuff in his new facility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose going up could be accomplished with some sort of line shaft winch and a braille arrangement. You might need a separate motor for each wall, or else some sort of gearing so the motive force could turn the corner. This link to the rosebrand site has an animation of a braille but I can't make the link to the flash work

Last edited:
Call the guys at Texas Scenic TSC - Theatrical Stage Equipment Great guys, top of the line. They'll help you to design and engineer the system you need, whether vertical or horizontal. Once designed they will manufacture it in their shop, right there in the heart of Texas. No shipping from one coast or the other! If you talk to Roy Harline, tell him I sent you.

If you've been following the thread
icon1.gif
New School Tex can give you a good idea of how they work as they are doing a lot of the stuff in his new facility.

Tex
user-online.png

Join Date Aug 2009 Location DFW Occupation Educator
Posts612Thanks56Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts

Thanks man. I had some bad experiences in the past with them, but everyone deserves a 3rd or 4th chance I guess.

Esoteric, I'm surprised at your experience. I don't work for TSC but I have worked "with" them on some projects over the years, always with excellent results. In the 35 years or so I've known Roy, yours is the first poor review I've heard. At least if you contact Tex and go look at that project you can get a first hand idea of current work quality and business relationships.

I have never worked with Roy personally. I will ask for him. My experiences were in the early 2000's. I don't entirely blame them (these were school district projects), but I wasn't satisfied.

Esoteric, I had the same sort of experience in the 90's & early 2000's. They have definately gotten better.
I've worked with Roy on TETA TheatreFest for the past two years. Great guy!
Come on by and see the space if you want. Always good to put a face with a handle. :)
Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I would love to hang out some time. Where are you at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back