Move In Black?

I've 35 straight years in live audio production but have a glaring lack of knowledge in DMX programming. I've so far managed to put together a fairly involved lighting display but stumbling badly with these Chauvet Q-Spots while trying to program them to move as I would like. I actually haven't been able to get them to move continuosly at all. Could someone give me a quick explanation of what the parameter "move in black" means? A simple tip on how to start the actual movement would be great, too. Thanks again.

What kind of lighting board are you using? dose it have move in black programing???

What kind of lighting board are you using? dose it have move in black programing???

It may help to first explain what i'm trying to achieve. The lighting is all 1w LED for a regional touring band. A Cubase program runs the lights. There are sixteen Elation Design 36, eight Design 36WA, Sixteen Optima ILED 30, and sixteen Chauvet splash 2. Basically all color changers. All I'm required to do is write simple scenes, assign them to midi note numbers then record the midi commands in the Cubase program which also plays the 'click track" or pilot track which the drummer monitors. The lighting is in perfect sync with the dynamics of the music and fully automated for the duration of the show. The band wanted to add some movement so i chose the LED Q-Spot 150's. All LED because of power limitations at various one-nighter venues.

What I need from the moving lights ia a simple pan and tilt solid color sweep to add to each scene of the color changers. No gobos,strobes, etc. Since the show is fully automated run by a Cubase program the lighting dealer that sold the LED's suggested I go with an inexpensive controller that would simply write scenes and act to convert midi back from the laptop. He said the Optima 1216J with a joystick could also incorporate the moving lights. To sum it up I just need to be able to program a side to side or up and down sweep in solid color into the scenes that are already being run.

Last edited:
I seemed to have found a way to work this out. Time consuming but it works. Using each scenes as a step I can get them to move when and where I want as the scenes advance through the song. If anyone has any other suggestions i'm open. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back