MTV Music Awards

tyler.martin

Just out of pure curiosity, does anyone know what the rigs were for the MTV Music Video Awards were like? ie: Fixtures, Controls, Dimmers.

Was the video screen at the back a large blended image rear projection or LED?

I thought the lighting was generally pretty good for the musical numbers. Lady Gaga's number was quite disturbing, but it had nothing to do with the lighting. I was particularly impressed with the lighting for Muse's performance in the theater across the street. The setup for Taylor Swift's number on the subway train was interesting as well.

I'd say exactly...anything/everything? What was the control console setup, what sort of media server for the big screen, etc? Getting to pick apart a plot would be freakin sweet, but I'm pretty sure that ain't happening.

Yeah, the Muse setup was nice, and well programmed. I was more interested in Taylor Swift's camera setup in the subway, personally. That looked...fun.

Yeah, i am just curious, what console, general setups, movers, etc... The Taylor swift subway thing was pretty cool and extremely well choreographed, but it makes me wonder if it was preshot and staged.

Im not a fan of Taylor Swift's music, but what Kanye did was super mean, but Beyonce had some class...

... The Taylor Swift subway thing was pretty cool and extremely well choreographed, but it makes me wonder if it was preshot and staged. ...
Taylor's number was definitely pre-taped.

From: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...swifts-acceptance-speech-vmas.html#post145185
According to sources at the VMAs, Swift was seen hysterically crying backstage after Kanye’s outburst, making it convenient that her performance of “You Belong to Me,” which immediately followed the acceptance speech, was prerecorded.
I'm sure tying up a subway train and station in NYC takes quite a bit of planning and coordination.

Looks like they were using a pair of grandma's for the primary control.
MA Lighting: Control / grandMA2 full-size[parent_gruppe]=215&cHash=ab43086f12

Ijustine does a poor job of looking at the setup but you do see a quick look.

Im not a fan of Taylor Swift's music, but what Kanye did was super mean, but Beyonce had some class...
I didn't catch the awards, but YouTube bailed me out. I'm proud to say I had to watch the video clip of that twice online. The first time I was distracted and looking at the lighting setup, and completely missed what happened.

Looks like they were using a pair of grandMAs for the primary control.
As the grandMAs (Main and back-up) shown in the video were in the graphics trailer, it's likely those were only running the media servers for screen content. Another pair (grandMAs or Virtuosos) were probably inside the venue running the moving lights, with probably yet another pair (Obsessions or EOSes) running the conventional lighting.

I'm sure there will be an article in PLSN, Live Design, or Lighting&Sound America on the show soon. See the Collaborative Article: Industry Periodicals for subscription information.

I actually heard that T. Swift did actually perform live right after she "accepted" her award, but I'm not too sure how to feel about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back