Multiverse transmitter issues

Rainmaker

Hi all

Last season, I bought a shiny new multiverse transmitter and 5 receivers. I have the transmitter connected directly to my Ion Xe running current firmware. The transmitter is on the catwalk and each of my 4 electrics has a receiver. Pipes 1 and 2 are set to universe 2 and 3 and 4 are set to universe 3.

My problem is that I seemingly "lose connection" between the transmitter and pipes 3/4. It usually happens after the system has been idle for a bit but this last week it happened in the middle of a tech rehearsal. When this happens, I have to power cycle my system (non dim relays (my entire rig is LED and/or multi parameters) all patched to channel 999) and sometimes the transmitter itself. The system power cycle reboots the receivers which 9/10 times works and everything begins to respond again and the 1/10 time, I have to power cycle the transmitter.

Has anyone had similar issues or any fixes? I have moved the receivers more in line with the transmitter, the max distance between the transmitter and the receiver on 4E is ~35' and there's only the proscenium (wood and Sheetrock) between the transmitter and the receivers.

I am not 100% sure, without knowing the firmware you are on, but you probably need a firmware update on the transmitter. This was a known issue a couple releases ago.

If you need additional direct support you can email [email protected] or call 201.549.1160 and either Janelle or myself can help.

I am not 100% sure, without knowing the firmware you are on, but you probably need a firmware update on the transmitter. This was a known issue a couple releases ago.

If you need additional direct support you can email [email protected] or call 201.549.1160 and either Janelle or myself can help.
Thanks. Looking at the instructions PDF, it seems relatively straightforward. What is the chance of completely bricking it if I do it wrong? 😅

As long as you do not lose the connection when you are transferring the firmware you should be good.

Over the air updates are only for the DMXcat portion of the Multiverse Transmitter.

The firmware you need to update is done through a local network. So the connection I was referencing was the physical connection. When updating I have had the best luck connecting directly to the computer I was using to update the device.

If you are alright with clicking download links you can get the update instructions here: https://www.citytheatrical.com/docs...re-update-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=9574f016_11.

Otherwise you can find it in the downloads section of the Multiverse transmitter page: https://www.citytheatrical.com/prod...verse-wireless-dmx-rdm/multiverse-transmitter

Over the air updates are only for the DMXcat portion of the Multiverse Transmitter.

The firmware you need to update is done through a local network. So the connection I was referencing was the physical connection. When updating I have had the best luck connecting directly to the computer I was using to update the device.

If you are alright with clicking download links you can get the update instructions here: https://www.citytheatrical.com/docs...re-update-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=9574f016_11.

Otherwise you can find it in the downloads section of the Multiverse transmitter page: https://www.citytheatrical.com/prod...verse-wireless-dmx-rdm/multiverse-transmitter
I've read those instructions but to be clear, I need to connect the transmitter directly to my laptop via Ethernet cable and do the firmware update that way?

Isn't that a bit chicken and egg - in order to apply the firmware update that stops the unit losing the connection it's necessary that the unit doesn't lose the connection?
Yup. You should never do a firmware update over a wireless connection, unless you're sure the device is smart enough to put the file in a temp and CRC it before switching over to it.

Thanks for all the help. Will be trying tomorrow morning, will report back if it works or if i made a really expensive paperweight

Thanks for all the help. Will be trying tomorrow morning, will report back if it works or if i made a really expensive paperweight
Don't disconnect or power-down any part of the device chain while the update is taking place and it should be trouble free.

Well, good news is that I do not have a paperweight.

I know most of us are computer savvy but I think it would be helpful to have some reference images because I tried following the instructions and had to try a couple of different IP address/Ethernet port configurations before it finally sent the new firmware.

I am glad the update went well!

I will see if engineering can update the instructions with some images.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back