Control/Dimming My own DMX control software!

cxhawk

Please remove if this is considered as an ad.

I have been mixing for our band for several years, until one day we need to do some fancy lighting to further increase the quality of our concerts. Then I dived into the world of DMX and trying to learn how to control all the LED fixtures. Obviously a software based approach is the best choice for me since I only have to buy a USB to DMX interface.

However, because I don't know anything about lighting before. All kinds of concepts and faders in these DMX software confused me a lot. Patch, cue, scene, macro, palette, programing, playback... What are these? Do we really need so many layers of terminology? After spending hours without success, I decided to write my own DMX controller software: MaizeDMX!

For people who use software to control lighting, the venue won't be a big one, because most of the time these USB to DMX interface only have one universe support. That’s why I think the simplicity and quick action is the key here. I don’t wanna an user interface that’s so abstract and complicated that scare away all the first time users. In MaizeDMX, there are only two concepts: fixture and sequence. The fixture represents one of your light and a sequence is a timeline of your fixtures status.

The work flow is simple:

First search your profile in the cloud based profile manager, if it is already created by someone, then great, add it to your project. Select the fixture in the fixture view and you will see it’s property and parameters that you can change on the right panel. Play with it if you want to try it manually.

Second, create a sequence in the sequence view, double click it to open the sequencer. You will see a BPM based timeline just like what you see in a digital audio workstation. Double click the first frame to add a key frame. Each keyframe stores the status of all your fixtures. After selecting a keyframe, you can go back to the fixture view to change any fixture status to match what you want in this frame. That’s it, add more keyframe in the timeline if you want.

Finally, assign some shortcut key to your sequence by holding the right mouse button on the sequence cell and then press a key. Now, you can trigger it anytime just by pressing that key.

It’s free, give it a try and let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://www.maizedmx.com

dmxbanner.jpg

screenshot.png

13308497_1732925316924337_5851525934802410906_o (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back