Need Awesome Fogger!

I'd recommend a pair of Ultratec FX G-3000s with the Quick or Extra Quick Dissipating Fluid. The G-3000 has a pretty ridiculous amount of output when turned up to full, and I've used the Quick Dissipating Fluid before with great effect. You might want to get a jug of each fluid to try out before you buy multiple jugs of one fluid.

One thing to add is that a lot of people like LED lights in their fog to go with this effect; I know that one of the major sports teams in my area uses Elation E-PAR QAs for lighting their fog effect.

Package it together with a basic but sturdy DMX fader board like an NSI MC7516 or MC7524 to control the LEDs and the fog machines, add some cable, and you'll be off to the races.

Posting recommendations here vs. emailing them to you so that if someone else comes looking for answers, they're here in this thread.

I have a Martin Magnum 2000 that can really put out a lot of smoke. However, have you alrealdy approached the subject of fire detection and the effects that the fog/smoke machine will put out? Do you have control over the air handlers? Are you looking for the fog to be low-lying or what kind of effect are you looking to get? Do you want it to be where the teams enter or to fill the entire venue?

A lot of times they use liquid nitrogen devices to do a massive instant blast of smoke. It clears really quickly... but it's not safe to stand in for long or you'll find yourself dead due to a lack of oxygen. It's really critical that you answer the questions Ruinexplorer just posted as there are a lot of different ways to do this. Is it a falling curtain of fog, columns of fog for the team to walk through, Low lying fog to wade through, a rising wall of fog... Liquid nitrogen fog can disappear in seconds or you can use chemical fog that stays in the air 10 minutes. There are a lot of options.

appreciate the feedback! This is a high school arena so liquid nitrogen is probably out of the question. The donor isnt exactly a tech orieted person so asking him specifics has been laughable. So far what i can gather is that he would like a curtain (or sheet as he put it) of fog for the team to run out through during pregame warmup. They have done this effect with a pea souper but the effect was dismal at best. Yes it needs to disapear relatively quickly. I know its noisey but CO2 cryojets might be a fun effect as well... Does anybody know how long you can leave them "open" before the nosel freezes up?

another option is to build a pipe system with hole outlets every 3" with about a 1/4" hole drilled. hook up a fogger with a chiller and you'll get a falling curtain of fog they can run through.

Yeah i thought about that too... that would require drilling into concrete though in order for the contraption to be mounted. They run from a vomitorium (sp?) cave like thing... Also might have to chill the pipe as well in order to not lose the density as it passed through the pipe!

hmmm..I think the best "falling" fog curtain would be done with Dry Ice and "cold fog"..I've used the various Chillers out there, and they just don't do as good a job as a dry iced based fogger. If you want a really nice falling fog curtain I highly suggest a dry ice unit.

I've used a Le-Maitre G-300 hooked up to a home made CO2 unit. Due to it being in a black box, we had to place the Fogger about 25 feet away and outside of the theatre due to noise. The show was in an Arena setting and the effect happened at the load doors into the space. We had the CO2 unit right after the fogger that fed into dryer hose that eventually ran to the PVC pipe with holes. I used sewer drain pipe that has the holes already drilled into it and then a simple cap at the end of it. In that 25 feet, the fog did not warm up enough to just float out, it came shooting down in a perfect wall of fog. I've also done it with blocks of dry ice with results that weren't as good but still nice.

I can't imagine doing it with the new Ultratec G-3000. I haven't played with that one yet but their new outputs are amazing. I bought two of their Stage Fogger DMX units which I was told was supposedly the replacement for the G150 and I think it puts out the same volume that the G300 did. I'd love to see the output in person on the new G-3000.

If it's during a basketball game -- just make sure the solution doesn't leave a bunch of slippery residue on the court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back