Need Help Building LED DMX ZoomSpot!

Righteo, In an electronics project I'm doing for my last year of high school I plan on converting an old 650w Zoomspot into an RGB LED Fixture controlled by DMX (That can still take a GOBO). Any ideas or information people could push forward to help? I currently plan on taking a 100W RGB LED Panel and fitting this to a used Aluminum Heatsink and fan out the heat. Then sending the RGB to a 3CH DMX Decoder, to a PSU for power and DMX Channel control. Only problem I had with this idea is working with the odd voltage on the LED Panel. Red = 18v-24v while Green&Blue = 30v-36v. Any ideas on whether I could use a 24v PSU, Run it straight through DMX for the Red Panel and use Voltage Step-Up converters for the Green and Blue channels? Does DMX dim Voltage or Current?

Cheers Guys, any help is appreciated :)

DMX doesn't dim anything. DMX sends data. Another circuit is required to translate that data into the action of dimming anything.

LEDs are typically dimmed using pulse-width modulation (PWM). So you need a DMX-to-PWM or DMX-to-BAM circuit. That's the easy part of this project. Google is your friend.

The more difficult problem is going to be developing the lens to turn your LED panel into a point source since that's what the rest of the optics of the Zoomspot are expecting. That challenge took some of the brightest minds in the lighting industry several years to solve.

Awesome, Thanks for that :). I reckon as long as the beam from the Panel can be altered with a collimator and lens to represent the original bulb before it hits the first Lens it should be algood :). Will be googling into that PWM Stuff too. Cheers :)

Remember, LEDs need to be driven with a constant current source, not a constant voltage source. Also, unless you have a boost converter somewhere, you won't get over the 36V compliance voltage with a 24V supply...

/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back