Need help with using ministageconsole and enttec on a mac

I am fairly new to the dmx world and I really want to conquer it! I want to start small to get the whole idea and then work my way up. I have an enttec usb pro, ministageconsole and Qlab(set it up but haven't gotten that far yet). For lights, I have an AF1000 strobe light I would like to stat with. Here is the manual with all addresses and so on... http://www.premier-lighting.com/downloads/manuals/High-endAF1000.pdf

I hooked up all the necessary dmx cords and terminator. Easy since all I needed was a 5 to 3 pin converter, a 3 pin dmx cord, and a terminator. I then set my dip switches. All the standalone switches are down (off) and the DMX switches the first one is up. That means I set the address to 1 right?

So I go into ministageconsole and try to configure my serial ports which my only options are bluetooth pda sync or bluetooth modem. I've concluded that means it recognizes it as a serial port. So I picked bluetooth pda sync because it was open. I then click test dmx interface, not like I know what that even does. It doesn't do anything or maybe it should? I then plug the strobe in. It only lets out a small little flash that you can look at and wont be blinded. So i try messing with every fader and every button and every option only to have it do nothing.

I appreciate any and all help!

Let's try to simplify the problem by just making sure your strobe is set up properly.

1 - From the manual, it looks like your strobe uses three channels. Read it to get a feel for what levels you would have to set on each channel to get it to strobe.
2 - If you look in your Enttec directory, you will see a utility called 'Pro Utility'. If you fire that up, you will be able to text that you have a good connection to the Enttec device. Once you are connected, bring up the 'DMX Send' screeen. This will let you directly control the first 16 channels of output.

As you manipulate the control, you should be able to figure out what is going on. Could be your addressing is off. Could be that you just need to understand the interactions between the channels. Could be that you have an issue with the ministage console.

By cutting out the ministageconsole and qlab, you can simplify the problem and solve it one piece at a time.

... I then set my dip switches. All the standalone switches are down (off) and the DMX switches the first one is up. That means I set the address to 1 right? ...
No; you currently have it set to 002. With ALL Address Dipswitches off, the fixture is addressed as 001. The actual address is always one more than the sum value of the binary switches. (The AF1000 is a rarity in this regard.)
I don't know the miniStageConsole, but the most common configuration for the AF1000 is Personality (I believe what you are calling "standalone switches") Dipswitches 3,4,5 ON, all others off, which should give you
Ch. 1=Intensity
Ch. 2=Duration
Ch. 3=Rate
on the first three sliders.

Hope this helps.

JChenault;205939 2 - If you look in your [autolink said:
Enttec[/autolink] directory, you will see a utility called 'Pro Utility'. If you fire that up, you will be able to text that you have a good connection to the Enttec device.

I tried looking it up and the pro utility is only for windows. I am on a Mac. Anything I can do to test it on a mac?

No; you currently have it set to 002. but the most common configuration for the AF1000 is Personality (I believe what you are calling "standalone switches") Dipswitches 3,4,5 ON, all others off, which should give you
Ch. 1=Intensity
Ch. 2=Duration
Ch. 3=Rate
on the first three sliders.

Hope this helps.

Thank you as soon as I find out if my enttec is configured I will try that. One question to go with that. The personalities, does that work with DMX? I guess I called it standalone because I thought it was only for manual operation. Since I'm going to be on stage and I don't want to give anybody a seizure I need to only have it on for a short period of time throughout the performance.

I finally set it up and I can now control it using ministageconsole. I am so excited! Thank you to all. Next I will be working on a elation pixel 80 drive. I guess I know now where to come if I need any help. Once I master it, I'll be the one helping others ;) Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back