Need Urgent Help!!!

Ryan Gregg

I will be the lighting technician for the European Wheelchair Basketball Championship at Worcester Arena on the 28th August and the 6th September for both the Opening and Closing Ceremony. However, to control the lights at the arena they use a laptop running Daslight which tbh I'd prefer not to use, I would prefer to use an actual lighting console.

I have managed to borrow a Lighting desk from my college it's a Zero 88 Jester Tlxtra however I don't think it will have the lights the arena have in the fixture library. The lights are ACME Ruler Spot which i've only just found out is actually name MH - 575S, and the second lights they have are Kudos (9 Channel Mode).

Is there anyone that can help me onto wether they know if the jester desk will have the fixtures on there and if not is there anyone who can create fixture profiles for me for the two intelligent lights that I gave stated.

Thanks,
Ryan Gregg.

I need someone if possible to create me two fixture profiles that I can load onto a Jester TLxtra zero 88. The two lights are, ACME Ruler Spot Possibly also named MH-575S and not sure what the other light is at the moment.

Would be great and really appreciated if someone could create the fixture profile, I'm not good at creating them to be honest at all.

Thanks,
Ryan Gregg.

If no one here can do it, the simplest answer is usually to copy a similar fixture and make a minor changes. You're least likely to get the macros but you should get the basics pretty easily.

You might also ask over on the Zero88 forum http://zero88.com/forum/

If no one here can do it, the simplest answer is usually to copy a similar fixture and make a minor changes. You're least likely to get the macros but you should get the basics pretty easily.

You might also ask over on the Zero88 forum http://zero88.com/forum/

That was my first thought but I've never made or change things on fixtures from scratch or from similar before so I don't know how to do it at all.

Hi Ryan,
How many moving lights are you talking about and how well do you know Jester? Will you have adequate patch and program time scheduled into your event? The reason I ask is because I often do the same thing - work in a venue with an existing system but bring my personal console to run things from and can tell you patching and programming is no small task, especially if you only get a sparse list of which fixtures should be where, as I'm sure you already know. That's even assuming your fixture library is set up correctly! What is it that you want to accomplish with the Jester that Daslight can't do? The reason I ask is because if this is only a two day deal, you might be better off just making do with what's installed so long as it can do the job. If nothing else, you can probably be sure everything is already patched and ready to go on their system. You might even get a few scenes/cues/presets/sequences to build your show off. Just my two cents, but hope this helps!

Hi,

I have a day on Saturday 22nd August to test that the lighting desk works and if it does program effects positions etc. when I say works I know once plugged into there system it will work, it's just seeing if the fixtures they have which are x8 ACME Ruler spots and x8 Kudos (9 channel Mode) will be on the jester desk if they are then I'd be better programming and running the show from the desk. However, If they aren't on the desk and I can't find anyone to create fixture profiles for me to load into the jester desk, I'll settle for the laptop. I say I'd prefer a physical lighting desk because it's a lighting desk I've been trained on for the passed three years at college. I can however use grand ma onpc very good, over the past couple months I've gotten to grips with that and can program light shows quite easily to music on Grand Ma onpc but they don't have the equipment to allow me to use grand ma onpc.

**Threads merged**. Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject.

My opinion is choose the path that creates the least new potential hazards and maximizes programming time, even if that means more work for me. You have a facility with a fully functional lighting system. Bringing in another system, opens up many potential problems. Yeah it may all go perfectly, but you also may waste hours trying to get your console to work on their system... and that's before you deal with the profiles for the fixtures. So my vote is sit down and learn how to use their daslight system. That way the only variable is how well you learn to program the daslight system. You've got four days to do that. This way your Saturday morning is spent programming rather than installing and troubleshooting. Maximize your programming time and minimize adding problems to the system.

I've heard it said that the best touring LDs can sit down and look at a venue punt page for 30mins, make minimal changes, and come back and run the show beautifully. This is a learning opportunity.
However, I do understand the problem you may encounter with playback. Is there a fader wing available for daslight? From what I remember, it isn't the most friendly program for busking. What does the lighting for this event need to achieve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back